Thread: Real maps
View Single Post
Old 2007-12-14, 15:31   #31
Sadist_Cain
Supporting Member

OK so here we have the standard map legend. As you can see there's a lot of different symbols for different things, just notice that the footbridge on the right of OGT needs to be changed if you see...

Not very Important but I thought it could be good for Al Basrah to show the main roads and such.

Ok and finally a sample of a real world map. For those interested Larkhill is where they train the SAS thought that appropriate :P

Like I said before theres a very large amount of detail in these maps, pity I dont think there's any cliffs or screes to see how they look but if you want Clypp I can get you some.
Of course our maps wont need this much detail, we wont need nature trails village names etc. take away all the townie bits and it should be quite sleek and informative :P

Also was thinking is there a way you can give hieght markers on the contours? If the minimap gets removed (prays) then well need to pinpoint our location perhaps with hieght aswell "ok Im south of grid D4 at 50 metres!" would be helpful to pinpoit :P the hieght dosnt even need to be accurate though it would be better if it could be of course

Edit: notice how buildings such as schools/hotels are highlighted. Incooperating this into our urban maps would add so much depth! we already have lil names for them so why not have proper "OK lets check out and see if there are any weapons caches in the Al-Khaseeb district"

"We're pinned down under fire 200 metres north of the school building !"

Just think if removing all of this automatic navigation how much more awesome and tense the firefights will be. Teamwork will be paramont to getting weapons onto the enemy and finding their location, no teamwork will result in death. the way we like it

Also ponder the idea of urban "hot zones" poorly mapped areas with vast amounts of roadblocks and such. I think this'll have a more profound effect than am entire city totally trashed, driving in the landy into the hot zone andj ust see how the buildings are falling apart from bomb strikes, burnt out cars etc. the contrast will be chilling

Last edited by Sadist_Cain; 2007-12-14 at 16:20..