project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
29 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2024-02-08, 14:45   #1
dcm1
Default Global Local Mumble/Voip should be a serverside option

Recently I played on the U777 server, when it enabled universal local mumble; where you and the enemy could hear each other, over local chat.

AND IT WAS AMAZING!

I never played PR so much and so hard as I did in those twelve hours. I took off work to do so, because I was having so much fun! It brought me back to the old days of PR, when everything was fresh, exciting and new.

The amount of psychological manipulation I engaged in, would make Sigmund Freud proud. I was able to directly talk to my enemy and both taunt and congratulate them.

Let me tell some of the more memorable moments.

I trailed a squad for a good five or so minutes. Listening in on their comms. Waiting for the right opportunity to strike. Which I did with a frag grenade.

I had enemies tell me exactly what floor the cache was on.

I had enemies tell where the crates were.

I befriended the enemy mortar team, forcing them to waste shells on empty space, or force them to teamkill their own friendlies. Because I said that enemies were, where they weren't. Then when they figured out I was on the opposing team, I executed them all and blew their shit.

I walked out of a bush and killed an enemy medic and his patient. And taunted them over local.

I was talking to my tank gunner, on local, knowing full well that the enemy could hear me, because I wanted them to shit their pants.

I pretended to be dead on cache and told the enemy team, that "cache is clear" grab c4 off my body and blow the cache. And when they came down. My boys opened fire on the suckers.

I engaged in CQB battle with a superiorly armed enemy, and even though I lost, my opponents congratulated me for my bravery.

I goaded the squad leader of an enemy squad into a 1v1 knife fight. I killed their leader and his boys slaughtered me of course . Honor less of them, yes. But still fun none the less.

I had a guy roleplay as some sort of serial killer, who he was clearing my t-building. Every time he killed one of my guys he would say "that's another for the woodpile." Or something like that.

I had a guy drop two c4s on my tank and track me. Then he pulled out a detonator and make me beg for my life over local. He blew it up anyway. I was laughing too hard to be mad.

A guy in an apc rolled up to my building and started playing peek-a-boo of death with my squad. He would say things like "peek-a-boo! I kill you!" Before opening into one of my guys.

I convinced an insurgent combat engy on local to tell me where he planted his mortar and arty ieds. He did, but said not to, because friendlies were too close, I blew them anyway and wiped a couple of guys. When I told him, I was blufor, he started laughing his ass off.

But my most memorable experience was on Gaza as Hamas. I was a lonely breacher, who managed to harass, manipulate and eradicate; 2x idf squads in cqb with a lowly mp5. They were confused and yelling, asking where was I? So, I told them, before I killed them of course. I said hey look this way or that way. "See me? Now you're dead!" I gaslit a guy by asking if he was friendly. Then when he said yes. I turned the corner and mag dumped into him. I had one guy with no kit, beg me to spare him. So, I did. I made him swim back to his main base and told him that if he makes landfall and I see it or if he picks up a gun. I'm going to pop him. He swam faster than Michael Phelps. By the time he got out of view. I felt so proud of the little guy. In short; I terrorized them. And I felt good. They called me Hamas John Wick. When they finally got me, I expended all my ammo, frags and tnt. They were so damn happy. I congratulated them over local, for finally putting me out of my misery. Then they desecrated my corpse. It was the best PR experience I had in a very, very long time.

Global Local Voip. Brings a new dynamic to the game. A dynamic that makes PR so much more.

And this is why I believe that Global Local Mumble should be a server side setting. I know that it's technically possible on locked/passworded servers. But those servers get no traction. Only on special events. And I know that not everybody likes that sort of chaos. But they can have other servers to play on.

I know that there are teamwork concerns. But no, I disagree. Instead what I saw was everyone communicating on squad comms, and sticking together. And those who spoke on local to their teammates; whispered. Bringing an aura of realistic dread to the environment.

Please consider amending the server license to allow servers to run mumble as they see fit. It breathes new life into the game. And makes it so much more fun!