project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Modelling & Animations
29 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Modelling & Animations Everything but Static Objects

Old 2014-08-03, 21:23   #121
KaB
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: [Weapon] M7 Grenade Launcher (+ M9A1 rifle grenade)

I got it into BF2 Editor, but it's oddly shiny :

I thought it came from some issue with the .dds, but the specular map seems to work as I can see few details from it by moving the reflection. And it's actually as dark as the M1 Garand, which is already pretty dark. So I'm not sure where's the problem coming from.
Last edited by KaB; 2014-08-03 at 21:30..
Old 2014-08-04, 02:11   #122
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

it looks like no spec to me, just normal (which your probably confusing with "spec details) and its probably either because you've exported with the incorrect shader technique, or you've saved the spec into the wrong .dds file, or you saved the .dds file that should have the spec in the wrong DXT format, or possibly a mixture of a few of those problems.

spec btw doesn't control the objects brightness, only how much light it reflects from its surface. Brightness is simply controlled how bright your diffuse texture is.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-04, 07:40   #123
KaB
Retired PR Developer

What do you mean by shader technique ? That's something to setup in the exporter ?

Yeah actually I didnt setup the .dds as usual because lucky told me so. He told me to put the spec map in the diffuse's alpha channel for the _c file with DXT 5 (I used DXT 5 ARGB 8 compression), and the normal all alone in the _b file with DXT 1 (I used DXT1 no alpha compression).

Where did I go wrong on this ?
KaB is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-04, 14:21   #124
Hauteclocque
Retired PR Developer

Have you used the ColorMapGloss shader for your export ?

Hauteclocque is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-04, 14:28   #125
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Hauteclocque View Post
Have you used the ColorMapGloss shader for your export ?
Ye, you need to use the ColorMapGloss Shader Technique in order to load the spec map's from the diffuses alpha channel. Default uses it from the normals alpha channel, which in your case is a blank, 100% white channel as you saved it in DXT1, which is why its super reflective.

I take it you've been reading this tut: https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f18...d-weapons.html

It helps not to skip bits...

Quote:
Step 7: BF2 Materials

Now we know that our textures are always looking nice and working well we need to setup our 3p models to use the correct BF2 materials so when they are exported they all are working well in BF2.

All in all for our 3p models we need 3 different materials.
Normal Colour, spec and normal material
Alpha material applied to the bits with transparent parts.
ENV Map material applied to reflective parts like scope lenses etc.

All are going to be using the same textures but just in slightly different ways.

First select an empty material (or even better yet, the material already used by all your 3p models (and no others)) and select "BF2 BundledMesh" material type for it.

Then crate the following materials, first one called something along the lines of "3p_l85a2" (with no || bit after it, no need with this material setup, but in others you need ||Colormapgloss etc, but not here) and browse the correct colour and normal textures. The 2nd called "3p_l85a2||Alpha" which we will use on our transparent faces and the 3rd called "3p_l85a2||Envmap" which we will use on our scope lenses

First fully apply the normal "3p_l85a2" material to all your 3p models, and then go ahead and apply all the "3p_l85a2||Envmap" material to all the scope lenses:

And then apply the "3p_l85a2||Alpha" material to all the faces with transparent bits on them

Now when you export it should all be good, but keep in mind the little bits (ie, shader techniques) after your material name all depend on your texture setup and what you want it to do. Not having any bit after our main material etc is because our spec is in our normal map which the default shader technique uses, "ColorMapGloss" uses the spec map out of the diffuse / _c texture's alpha for example so just keep this stuff in mind and any questions just ask
Since in my tut I've got the opacity map in the diffuses alpha channel I use the default setting of it using the spec from the normals alpha but it dose mention it

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-04, 16:01   #126
KaB
Retired PR Developer

Yay thanks guys !

Dat long tutorial is long, so no surprise I missed stuff
Lucky warned me there was something that had to be done there though, and I pretty much ignored it.
KaB is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-03, 18:32   #127
CaptMiller

Always use it for grenadier in WW2, especially when need smoke trenches, bunkers etc of germans
CaptMiller is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-06, 13:39   #128
Maverick7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMiller View Post
Always use it for grenadier in WW2, especially when need smoke trenches, bunkers etc of germans
o shit waddup!
Maverick7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-07, 11:02   #129
agus92
Supporting Member

Necro much bro? But ye, it's an awesome weapon.
agus92 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
grenade, launcher, m9a1, rifle, weapon