project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
29 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2016-09-25, 21:34   #31
parch
Supporting Member

Default Re: Team player, and want to use sniper kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Walker View Post
The part that pisses people off is it might be the only kit in PR that you actually have to think, use tactics, and use all the abilities in the game in order to be an effective team player.
That would be the rifleman.

parch is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-25, 21:43   #32
LiamNL
Supporting Member

A normal decent inf squad should be able to fend for themselves instead of having to wait for the special rainbow to set up in a high tower to snipe that one guy that bothered them. Subsequently being killed because hey high place is really visible. And also typical is that special kits get idiots running to them when they died with the uber weapon 3000.

Spotters have a better practical function than snipers. A sniper has a weapon for long ranges, that's it. A spotter can laze targets, mark targets on the map if hes squadlead/commander, can use the rope to add molibity to nearby infantry and build freaking fobs, the building blocks of infantry. 9 times out of 10 a spotter would be more beneficial to the team than a sniper, simply because of it's flexibility and ability to mark and laze shit.

Intel wins battles, and a spotter is several times more adept at gathering and transmitting intel than a sniper. Sure that one guy on the street is now dead, but whoops hes an insurgent, nobody cares that hes dead. Oh look there is a cache over there? Well let me transmit it to the rest of the team with my handy dandy radio so they'll know it when they check the map.

Also the practical function of a spotter is to (as intended) assist the other player, be that sniper, mg, hat etc. Nice rope to get up buildings, extra patch to heal you up, lazer designator to give the range, radio to report to the rest of the team etc. A spotter is also able to watch your back whilst youre peering for a loose finger to miss and provides much needed CQC combat capability that a support weapon usually lacks.
LiamNL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-25, 21:57   #33
Wicca
Supporting Member

I like snipers in maps where both teams only have ironsights.

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Wicca is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-28, 19:09   #34
CR8Z
Supporting Member

I will almost always kick the guy who grabs a sniper rifle in my squad without asking. You're assuming that's the role the squad needs. It generally is not. I have no idea why people always try to grab that kit in an infantry squad.

I will agree with what others have said in that the sniper kit is situational, just like the HAT kit, (although a hat kit is far more useful than the sniper kit.) Pick it up when you need it, and put it down when you're done.

Recon squads are great, but even they do not necessarily require a sniper kit. It just limits your options and therefore your effectiveness on the board.

One positive thing I can say about the sniper kit is that you look pretty cool in a bush.
CR8Z is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-28, 19:38   #35
ZektorSK

Deployment has shitty rules of kits, so you can get sniper kit and your own recon squad only if you are really fast...
ZektorSK is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-02, 12:37   #36
PeppeJ

Most guns are already as accurate as the sniper is. (arguably more accurate due to faster deviation setting). Like rPoXo said the most effective use is to harass enemy fob emplacements (which an AR would be much better at), which is only really good on maps with near long/vlong engagements. The main issue with the kit is that everything it does, another kit can do but better:

Engange from long distance accurately? Any gun is 99% accurate if you let the deviation settle, even better if they have a scope. Marksman is better since higher rate of fire and it's stronger than a pistol in close quarters.

Gather intel? You don't need any specific kit to gather intel.

Do a lot of damage in one shot? All guns does a shit load of damage in one shot, only all the others allow you to shoot more if you have to, plus they're better in close range.

Mark targets? You need to be SL to mark targets, if you're SL you're bogging up 1 of the 9 available squads. Also the SL kit is a LOT better for marking targets since you have more patches in case shit hits the fan.

So in the end the Sniper kit just isn't worth it, it's mechanically/numerically inferior to any other kit in the game. The only time the sniper kit is better is in unconventional forces, since it's usually one of the few scoped weapons. If you want to solo & gather intel for the team - go commander and gather intel.
Last edited by PeppeJ; 2016-10-02 at 12:44..
Old 2016-10-08, 02:52   #37
Carl Weathers

I think people aren't considering that sniper effectiveness isn't just tied to kills. A single sniper can harass the shit out of an entire squad without giving away their location. That squad loses cohesion and effectiveness as members become distracted. Medics get deployed for heals, people look for the sniper, other people get shot and need medic. The squad mission was ever to hunt a sniper but now everything is fucked up; if the sniper is really good he can torment this squad all round. Just consider the times you've been harassed by an enemy sniper and how it's affected your squad.

A single AR cant do this, he has tracers and noise to give away his position quickly and get countered.

I don't play sniper, but suggesting that a good sniper is worthless is imo silly. In a full squad yes I'd rather have an AR, but if two guys go out in their own squad and fuck with the enemy like this it's far better than having them in a squad they don't want to be in. Snipers have been annoying in just about every video game since the dawn of time, that's their job.
Carl Weathers is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-08, 12:46   #38
QuickLoad

Sniper isn't worthless.
They usually don't belong within infantry squads, although they sometimes do.

More times than not, the snipers engage from a longass distance(which is where they're the most powerful) at an exposed FOB or of the such, and taking them out is a pain, we have to set up a TOW and smoke everything, get thermals, etc because he's too far away and hidden too well.
QuickLoad is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
kit, player, sniper, team