project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
29 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Old 2014-09-23, 21:37   #11
Amok@ndy
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: [MAP] Phu Nguoi (2km) [WIP] (PR:V)

it does not affect OG Objects, it works for UG but not for OG

Amok@ndy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-24, 03:28   #12
Nightingale

Thanks Amokandy.

So now that I know UG is not a viable way to give concealment to infantry, I revamped the foliage. The willow trees and almond trees should provide better concealment for infantry without wasting drawcalls like the tall jungle trees. Just though I'd put up a pic in case anybody's curious what will replace the jungle trees.

================

There are two problems that have been bothering me for a few weeks now:

1.) Where the hell is the directory containing the .dds files for all the different sky textures? According to the BF2 editor, there are somewhere in .../common/textures/sky/, but I can't find such a path in /pr_edit/.

2.) The old "maps" for the different "material types" are persisting no matter how many times I re-paint the terrain. So for example, if a player walks on where a muddy road used to be, a squelching sound will be made even though the road isn't there anymore. And if I try to paint new roads on, they do not take on the "muddy" material type that I have assigned to it. (I am doing my roads Ia Drang style; that is, not with splines. I think painting them on makes them look more fitting for the jungle.) Can someone explain to me how the "material types" system works? Is each material tied to each detailmap? Or is it like the colourmaps, where any number of material types can be painted anywhere on the terrain? How am I meant to edit the placement of these material types?
Last edited by Nightingale; 2014-09-24 at 03:35..
Old 2014-09-24, 06:43   #13
AfterDune
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

The sky files are in your common_client.zip (located in the "content" directory). You should be able to select them in the editor, right? Or are you looking into introducing a new one?

Regarding your under-/overgrowth, make sure to check your map in-game after a while. Having too many jungle stuff introduces frame drops and such .

AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-24, 10:17   #14
[R-DEV]​Ason
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
The old "maps" for the different "material types" are persisting no matter how many times I re-paint the terrain. So for example, if a player walks on where a muddy road used to be, a squelching sound will be made even though the road isn't there anymore. And if I try to paint new roads on, they do not take on the "muddy" material type that I have assigned to it. (I am doing my roads Ia Drang style; that is, not with splines. I think painting them on makes them look more fitting for the jungle.) Can someone explain to me how the "material types" system works? Is each material tied to each detailmap? Or is it like the colourmaps, where any number of material types can be painted anywhere on the terrain? How am I meant to edit the placement of these material types?
I don't know but it looks like you didn't generate low detail? After you paint you need to click "set low detail type" and then choose the one in the list and then press generate. (they are located in the bar to the right) This might fix the material problem.

I also think materials are tied to the layer, so if you have grass material/sound on layer 1 you will hear grass on all areas with layer 1 painted, no matter what color or detail.
I'm not 100% sure though.
Ason is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-24, 10:36   #15
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

as Ason says, material types are dependent on which of your 6 detailtextures has been assigned to that area with the material set in the tweakbar per detailtexture.

When you add or remove roads, you need to save and recompile colortextures and detailtextures for the game to understand that the material has changed due to a road.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-25, 15:39   #16
Nightingale

Thanks for explaining the material type system, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]AfterDune View Post
The sky files are in your common_client.zip (located in the "content" directory). You should be able to select them in the editor, right? Or are you looking into introducing a new one?
Yes, I want to photoshop my own sky texture and put it in my map.
Nightingale is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-26, 05:36   #17
AfterDune
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I assume you're working in a "pr_edit" environment. In that case, simply make your sky and put it inside common_client.zip .

AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-26, 18:02   #18
Nightingale

Oh, so that's how it works. Thanks Dune.

I'm going to have to ask a favour now, because my editor always crashes if I open Hill 488... Can someone open up Hill 488 in their editor and then tell me: what is the name of this tree, and where is it located?
I think I've gone through literally every single vegitation object under /objects/ and I still can't find this tree.
Nightingale is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-26, 18:36   #19
Amok@ndy
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

thats because you should not use this object as its quite bad quality and performance.
so we removed it and would not like to see it on a new map.

Amok@ndy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-26, 18:47   #20
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

you'd be better using the ones from xiangshan

to find what you are looking for, open the staticobjects.con

the top of the file lists every static in the map and it's file location, the OG are listed last on that list

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
2km, map, nguoi, phu, prv, wip