project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
29 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2016-09-10, 17:32   #21
LiamNL
Supporting Member

Default Re: Newb here, multple manual reads, over 30 co-op plays..am i ready to go live?

It might be usefull to bind your mumble squad talk button to a thumb button on your mouse if you have one. That way you don't have to rebind all the keys in the game and don't have to reach over the entire keyboard to talk.
LiamNL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-10, 19:46   #22
MAVEN
Default Re: Newb here, multple manual reads, over 30 co-op plays..am i ready to go live?

Hey, welcome to PR I guess and please don't pay attention to all the troll comments denouncing your dedication.

People like you are what keeps tactical community breathing, we need more, MORE!

I will give you an introductory not just to PR but tactical shooters in general.

First of, let's immediately get to the bad news - PR nowadays sucks not because the mod does (on the contrary now that it is standalone and even has pending 1.4 patch it's better than ever) but because gamin community got watered down so badly by all the fancy AAA games so much that even tactical players soaked up the "360 no scope" gibberish. On the good hand, PR and few other games (which I will list bellow) are a great place to have some cooperative fun and act responsibly.

What you did was great, and every new player should do so but note that this mod is not overly complex. Have you ever played BF2? Then after a week you'll blend in and feel like at home. A tactical mind can adapt to complex things, don't let the complexity of manual fool you.

Second, the good news is that you can still have taste of the oldschool PR realism and tactical fun althogether, however now it takes an effort to find this in general.

Here's how to find your tacticaline dose in PR:

- Play in COOP. While COOP is very basic and bots are dumb (but enhanced in PR) it's not how many kills you make nor how many things you blow up that matter, but that you actually communicate and contribute with real people to achieve something. This is VERY rewarding to gamers interested in this type of gameplay, and because bots are your only opponent there is no stress put on you forcing you to "be numpar uon piaaach!" thus forcing you to make errors, instead COOP is relaxing and lets you be in control. COOP mode is the best place to be a squad leader, it may seem like a hassle but don't shy away it
s fun and anyone can do it, you will learn progressively and what you don't know just ask others will help.
- If you play PVP, avoid insurgency mode and if you really have to play insurgency avoid ever playing for insurgents. PVP in general can be more intense and even fun if both teams are skilled and tactical sadly due to global community degrading there's so many bad individuals playing insurgency 24/7. Insurgency is also bad to your mental health if you're not strong to sustain it, sounds ridiculous but how would you like to hear "al-yah akbar" every 2-3 minutes or sometimes more often over mics? Or how would you like to be molested with gay jokes equally frequently? Save your sanity and play AAS, unlike insurgency AAS is equal in a way and it pushes the bad playerbase away to an extent. But PVP can only go so far. CoD and BF series had ruined PvP forever. The only good PvP EVER is on games like ArmA 2 and that with ACE and TFAR mods and that with passworded server and that with a community that forces you to enlist before you can play EVERY WEEK. Scarry? Play COOP, chillax and have fun.
- Find a good server. Not many servers yet some can be complete sh$t (no offense really but honest) you can have most fun on regular EU and US servers but also the only Russian Reality PROS server if you are fluent in native languages.
- Find a good squad. Pay attention to squad names, who is their sl and who actually plays. You want to choose a squad that has tactical role as a name (APC, TANK, Infantry, MIC INF, SPECOP, etc) you want the squad leader to have a mannered nickname (as this reflects directly on the person) for example nickname (madeup) like "TAC1 Wolfman" is better than "JIHAD AllahSnackbarBacon9000" you will equally need to look for squad mate nicknames. Once you join a squad, look if they use mics as this is always a decent sign that they may actually be interested in communicating cooperatively, that being said mic squads are not necessarily best, no mic squads can be even better in occations but the server has to be good and squad members good players who stick together and work as a team.
- Don't be a chicken. Why does a bully, bully a kid in school? Because the kid is showing weakness even though a bully is a troubled and more fragile person. If a player is mean to you as in they run you over with vehicle on purpose, curse you over mic or do other uncooperative things, your 1st response is to callout that person and measure their personality, after which ask for apology, no apology + got a swear? Put a bullet in his skull instant, tbag him, do so repeatedly every time they try to humiliate you until they leave server. It works for me and I don't care if it is brutal at times but IT WORKS, period. That being said don't be a douche either, respect others, be mature, be responsible and play fair. My rule is reward good with good x2 times, punish bad with bad x2 times.
- Ask what you are unsure off. No one will bite your head off if you do so, it's a game after all so learn and have fun.

And last but not least, invite your friends! No one will ever be more friendly and tactical to you than your very friends. Get on TS or just in Mumble, play together as a team in your own squad. At a later time you can even be a commander (complex but not hard once you learn the game)

That should cover it. If you still have questions there's a whole forum to read, or you can always post in comments. Cheers.
MAVEN is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-10, 19:48   #23
MAVEN

P.S games you should def play:

- ArmA 2 and 3.
- DCS World.
- War Thunder (simulation difficulty rec)
- PR duh..
- Squad.
- SWAT 4 (highly recommended)
- Other games, I can't remember all atm..
MAVEN is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-10, 22:21   #24
Geronimo

Seems like Shan~Man is the last of the old breed of newbies. Nowadays you won't find any new players like him who read the manual and practiced offline before jumping on a server. Thank you for that.

I also think you would fit really well in the tournament. It's the perfect place for (new) players willing to learn.
Geronimo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-10, 22:23   #25
Vista
PR Server License Administrator

Shaman, you are the man. Thank you for reading the manual.

You should check out the PRTournament indeed.
Vista is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-10, 23:03   #26
disnoxxio

So many depressing posts from old people being nostalgic. Just like it always has been. Its good to be here.

Keep it up shahman, go join an infantry squad, after a while you get to know people that take the game seriously or lead a squad well and then you start to enjoy it more. Good luck
disnoxxio is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-10, 23:33   #27
Jayhawker2092
Supporting Member

So much salt from some vets here, but after playing for years now, I can sympathize. This community has definitely declined in professionalism and maturity over time; especially when it went standalone and everybody and their little brother could download it. Now a large majority of this community are a bunch of <25yr old edgelords or shitty meme generators who almost certainly don't have the attention span or literacy necessary to read the manual. So, thanks for being different OP and for actually taking time to acquaint yourself with the game beforehand. I'd be more than happy to have a guy like you in my squad any day.

HUNDEKUVEN2092
Last edited by Jayhawker2092; 2016-09-11 at 05:07..
Old 2016-09-11, 12:22   #28
Wicca
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnoxxio View Post
So many depressing posts from old people being nostalgic. Just like it always has been. Its good to be here.

Keep it up shahman, go join an infantry squad, after a while you get to know people that take the game seriously or lead a squad well and then you start to enjoy it more. Good luck
Arent you one of those 1.0 new people?

:P

Jokes aside, the community is responsible for the community. If people in our community treat new players like shit, then guess what, it wont grow.

But really there seems to be no control mechanism on the community. just jerks and movements from certain groups in one direction or the other.

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Wicca is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-11, 13:53   #29
Shan~Man
Supporting Member

Thanks for the support while I build my skills. Part of the intent of my original post was to measure the community responses and most all had a point to consider. (I don't care about any that were negative) I plan to continue with coop/bots only for a short while longer- trying out all the vehicles, aircraft,etc. Even some Squad Leader trials. It's certainly not for the kills but skills in coop. My weak area will be coms....I'm not a big talker..the quite and deadly type. Have to work on that and my trash talk...

Maven said in a previous post " it's not how many kills you make nor how many things you blow up that matter, but that you actually communicate and contribute with real people to achieve something." The teamwork and skill when multiple squads coordinate and win. Seen it a few times on Youtube......that was the draw for me. I'll check out the tournament details.

Thanks again, I'll be leading you out there soon!
Shan~Man is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-11, 14:00   #30
Shan~Man
Supporting Member

Oh..and its "ShanMan" pronounced similar to "Can Man" ....get it right by the time I'm SqLead Although I sorta like CanMan better now after typing it!
Shan~Man is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
coop, live, manual, multple, newb, playsam, reads, ready