project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
29 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Old 2010-08-29, 15:31   #21
dtacs
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Map] Badghis mountains (2km) [WIP]

'Abandoned Russian helicopter base' doesn't look that abandoned. I want to see some old T-55 wrecks and tipped HESCO bariers, or removal completely of the HESCO barriers since the Russians (presumably) didn't use them.

To be honest this is suffering from the same thing as Jormdarreh Range, a real lack of areas for caches to spawn. You have to take into consideration that the Norwegians have optics and big burly APC's that can rape from ages away while the Taliban are left to close range combat.

My suggestions would be to:
  • Increase urban and developed areas for more cache possibilities and Taliban-friendly areas. I mean they don't control huge expanses of desert, they control thick areas where there are civilians present. An idea could be some Kabul-style favelas on the hills.
  • Add a centerpiece to the map, like the villages on SEagle and Archer.
  • Decrease view distance. Look at the main base pic, and imagine a techy in those foothills. Choppers will stand no chance getting out depending on the skill of those in the CV90-30's (if you're going to have them)
Regardless, it looks like this could be an excellent map, good luck.
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 15:48   #22
karambaitos

the buildings look really weird, though i like the color of the map its different
karambaitos is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 16:00   #23
Wakain

the village could use some more detail, like fences, perhaps some sheds or stone walls, also a village needs something close that justifies the building of a village, perhaps a stream or well(latter seems more likely in this landscape) and some fields to grow the necessary crops or the population would starve.
takes those things into account and you'll do fine
Wakain is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 16:02   #24
Zeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtacs View Post
'Abandoned Russian helicopter base' doesn't look that abandoned. I want to see some old T-55 wrecks and tipped HESCO bariers, or removal completely of the HESCO barriers since the Russians (presumably) didn't use them.
the map was originaly made for US vs MEC so this is leftovers from that version. working to "Russianize" it atm

To be honest this is suffering from the same thing as Jormdarreh Range, a real lack of areas for caches to spawn. You have to take into consideration that the Norwegians have optics and big burly APC's that can rape from ages away while the Taliban are left to close range combat.

this map will not be like jermdarreh range... the taliban is so hidden inside the mountain that its almost impossible to rape from a distance and there is going to be only 2 dirt roads leading into the backside of the mountain.

My suggestions would be to:
  • Increase urban and developed areas for more cache possibilities and Taliban-friendly areas. I mean they don't control huge expanses of desert, they control thick areas where there are civilians present. An idea could be some Kabul-style favelas on the hills.

a good tip. have to figure how to implement this propperly
  • Add a centerpiece to the map, like the villages on SEagle and Archer.

i will expand the current central village
  • Decrease view distance. Look at the main base pic, and imagine a techy in those foothills. Choppers will stand no chance getting out depending on the skill of those in the CV90-30's (if you're going to have them)

the viewdistance will be optimized so that you just cant see the base from the mountains but still get long view.
Regardless, it looks like this could be an excellent map, good luck.
thanks

response in bold
Zeno is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 16:04   #25
Zeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rudd View Post
if you post up a picture of something, expect comment on it, if you don't want comments on it, don't put a picture of it up
ofc i didnt mean to be rude or anything
Old 2010-08-29, 19:16   #26
Zeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rudd View Post
but the terrain looks really good, though the moutnains start a bit suddenly
they are made entirely of realworld data so this is excactly how they are rl
Old 2010-08-30, 02:23   #27
=Romagnolo=

how are you generating the terrain ? I see you didn't that by hand...
=Romagnolo= is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 02:28   #28
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

he used DEM data, as per his own tut

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f18...img-heavy.html

however I'm willing to bet he did not use a 2k area from RL to put in to a 2k map - hence why the mountains start suddenly.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 04:25   #29
anglomanii

@zeno, for the afghan favela style village.
here is a little story. as i was trying to teach myself how to map (epic failure on my part) i tried a few things so i could teach my self the process. when i tried to make a village i kept running into problems with it looking unnatural. it never had that maze look to it, i then took a simple maze from one of my sons activity books and used it as inspiration on the village lay out. it actually came out looking really good. pitty i sucked at every thing else. it might help,it probably wont and i probably cant explain my self well. but i try.
still your map looks good to me, i hope to play it some day...
anglomanii is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 06:44   #30
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
they are made entirely of realworld data so this is excactly how they are rl
DEM data for the most part is really low quality. Using DEM data on its own is not enough for a FPS like BF2 which each grid square is 2ms. Right now your only using like 10m grids worth of data.

You need to add the missing detail the DEM dosen't have, unless you want really low detailed terrain.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
2km, badghis, map, mapbadghis, mountains, mountains2kmwip, wip