project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
29 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Old 2010-11-15, 19:26   #21
J.F.Leusch69
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: [Map] Barentz Offensive - 2KM w/snow (Event Preview)

terrain color textures do not need to be included, because they are saved on the colormap of the map, only detail textures need to be included.

for the snow effects.

either you use for example the sand effects and just tweak them (not sure if they will overwrite the original sand effects.

or

you have to create 'new' effects, materials (so the game knows when to play snow effect X etc), sounds etc and than mout all that in the map folder (objects_client, objects_server, common_client, common_server)

so quite a lot of work, but to speed things up you could 'just' tweak the current sand effects (replace yellow/brown with white/grey, add some more dirt etc) rather than create totaly new ones (there are a lot of different effects that would need to be done). also the material thing shouldnt be overlooked as well, as its quite a mess to do
J.F.Leusch69 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-15, 19:29   #22
Zeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunem666 View Post
People always moan about my trees, when comparing them to ref pics, they are pretty similar angles!
pics or it didnt happen

Quote:
yeah ive only done screenies of the part that look nice, been making the mountain radar station, will have some epic firefights when thats completed.
would be nice if you could add something different than a mountain radar station since CR already have it and it would be kinda lame to have 2 excactly similar maps

Quote:
what id be interested in hearing about next is a color texture for snow, the 1 that is avaliable rocky_snowtop lacks detail and makes these nasty looking black spots on your terrain.

if i tried to crate a snow color texture, could i still impliment it for play using objects_client?
i need to do this also with the snowstorn effect.
my advise: use RGB colors instead of colortextures... IMO preset colortextures looks like shait
Zeno is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-15, 19:31   #23
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

ye, to explain in more detail, "colour" textures are only used by the editor, to paint your colour directly onto your map's colourmaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
my advise: use RGB colors instead of colortextures... IMO preset colortextures looks like shait
lol, colour textures are far better than flat colour.... You just need to know how to use colour textures.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-15, 19:36   #24
Zeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
ye, to explain in more detail, "colour" textures are only used by the editor, to paint your colour directly onto your map's colourmaps.

lol, colour textures are far better than flat colour.... You just need to know how to use colour textures.
well i use geocontrol to render a gradient for me and then i adjust in PS and import with Slice.
Zeno is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-15, 21:39   #25
mazur mikola

let it snow
mazur mikola is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-15, 23:48   #26
dunem666

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Amok@ndy View Post
color textures are not needed in the objects_client ... they are just used local !
you save them to /yourmap/colortextures/ tiles
ok, good to know, i wudnt have to add the file on server either?

so far with my textures i just add them to objects_client and then add it to clientarchives.con
dunem666 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-16, 00:30   #27
HangMan_

i've got a bunch of snow and ice textures for bamyan that people seemed to approve of lol. I just used the sand material, it works fine and you actually do get a similar sound for snow. For ice i think i used concrete or something because you get the hard noise when you walk on it and a good ricochet sound.
HangMan_ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-16, 13:22   #28
dunem666

lol zeno, how can having a radar station on the top of a snowy mountain with low visibility match ANY other PR map?

p.s, its a radio staton in PR, not a Radar station. a Radio station would be pretty useless in these arctic conditions.

also. im a firm beleiver in color texture, painting by hand as a good as a texture would be pretty pointless and lacks detail massively. this is why i was asking about the color textures and thinking of making my own.
Old 2010-11-16, 14:16   #29
GeorgRavioli
Supporting Member

This looks good so far. My problem is, are we going to use normal textures for Russian Soldiers and Militia or are there some hidden winter textures for them?

GeorgRavioli is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-16, 16:11   #30
dunem666

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommunistColby71 View Post
This looks good so far. My problem is, are we going to use normal textures for Russian Soldiers and Militia or are there some hidden winter textures for them?
ive made an entire custom texture for the soliders. authentic snow cammo

Tags
2km, barentz, edge, event, forcefield, invasion, invisible, map, offensive, preview, released, w or snow, wip