project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
29 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-20, 11:04   #31
hx.bjoffe
PR:BF2 QA Tester
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Map] The innovation of varanger, Norway vs. Russia ??

The guy who began remaking Wake Island meant he found a way to make it 8km2, as long as nearly all the map was water.
Old 2008-12-20, 15:07   #32
pleym
PR:BF2 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hx.bjoffe View Post
The guy who began remaking Wake Island meant he found a way to make it 8km2, as long as nearly all the map was water.
That would be nice if its possible
There is a lot of water at this map I have planned... Over 50%
Old 2008-12-20, 15:36   #33
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hx.bjoffe View Post
no was in fact me that did the original testing for 8km maps etc, he just attempted to make a map with it.

Scale 8 maps. - Official BF Editor Forums

notice the date of the topic, 2006, if you look to the end page you notice terror jumped on it in 2007.

Old 2008-12-20, 21:01   #34
Zimmer
Supporting Member

Besides dosent 8x8 give some real weird shadows etc? and you cant have land on nothing more then inside the 4x4?

People don't realize that autism doesn't mean they're "stupid". Just socially inept. Like rhino... > > or in a worst case scenario... Wicca. =)- Lithium fox
I found this sentence quite funny and since this is a war game forum I will put it here. No offense to the french just a good laugh.
"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without an accordion. All you do is leave behind a lot of noisy baggage."
Old 2008-12-21, 15:47   #35
Darkpowder

It would be good to have two factions having "alternate" skins.
In the same way the British have "desert" and "woodland" cammo skins.

the Russian and Norwegian factions should have "Woodland" and "Winter" cammo skins.

A nice northern lights sky on a night map would be good. I miss the night vision maps.
Old 2008-12-21, 16:12   #36
Scot
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]Darkpowder View Post
A nice northern lights sky on a night map would be good. I miss the night vision maps.
That would be awesome if possible!

Old 2008-12-21, 16:23   #37
pleym
PR:BF2 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]Darkpowder View Post
It would be good to have two factions having "alternate" skins.
In the same way the British have "desert" and "woodland" cammo skins.

the Russian and Norwegian factions should have "Woodland" and "Winter" cammo skins.

Yep I miss the night vision maps too. Its funny and more interesting to play in the darkness, you can sneak more than normal also

It would be nice if you could see the Northern Light at the sky and the moon, with out the night vision

Well lets see, someone will maybe tray to make it one day. If the map is to huge we can cut it down

Hope it will be made one day, arctic/dark combat sounds cool
Old 2008-12-21, 22:11   #38
hx.bjoffe
PR:BF2 QA Tester
Supporting Member

I don't think you'd even need NVGs in a snow landscape with clear sky, it's pretty lit up.
Old 2008-12-21, 22:29   #39
Zimmer
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Map] The invasion of varanger, Norway vs. Russia ??

I played this map on SP singel player it was dark, but enough light to see alot. And the fog blended very well in as a natural thing. Goods station was its name.

People don't realize that autism doesn't mean they're "stupid". Just socially inept. Like rhino... > > or in a worst case scenario... Wicca. =)- Lithium fox
I found this sentence quite funny and since this is a war game forum I will put it here. No offense to the french just a good laugh.
"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without an accordion. All you do is leave behind a lot of noisy baggage."
Old 2008-12-21, 23:13   #40
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot View Post
That would be awesome if possible!
skins are not the hard part of making a snow map. The hard part of making a snow map(s) is the all the tasks needed to be done by many different types of people to get them done.

This includes the obvious skins for players and vehicles, then you also need to do loads of skins for statics, overgrowth etc, most of which will in fact require new statics as reskinning most statics simply wont cut it. Then you need think about new "snow" materals, and there are many diffrent types of snow, snow with dirt, deep snow, shallow snow with grass patches, icey snow, ice etc. Then all news new materials need new effects for when you shoot them, when a chopper flys over them, when you drive over them, when a player walks on them, when a bomb is dropped on them etc. Then all these new materials also need new sounds, for when a player walks in snow, needs a snow sound, when a vehicle drives on snow, when a bullet hits snow etc. On top of this there is also many other tasks that need to be done like a new set of terrain textures, roads etc etc.

So for this you will at least need:
  • A very talented mapper willing to take on the huge task and directing it, preferentially knows how to make statics, basics skins and knows the basics what is required for all these process.
  • A Skinner willing on doing LOADs of reskins and is good at it and knows how to do snow well.
  • A coder to do the new new materials.
  • A effects guy to make all the new effects.
  • A sound gut to do all the new sounds.

All in all, if you want to do a snow map, you need to have a team that is willing and ready to do a shit load of work.

Closed Thread

Tags
4km, innovation, invasion, map, norway, russia, scrapped, vadsø, varanger, wip