project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
29 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Old 2014-01-12, 11:46   #41
[R-DEV]​Ason
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default re: [Map] Bamyan (4km)[WIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element-X_IV View Post
Looks very interesting, got a minimap?

Keep the assets light so Taliban doesn't get their asses kicked with Blufor optics and armor, even something like light CAS, helicopter transports + humvees but no APCs or any armor
Yeah That's exactly what I had in mind, the only way for blufor to get any heavy support is to call in cas.

I got a heightmap:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
How about a real life location, Shok Valley comes into mind for me, doesn't have to be based on it, but you could still use the name which I think sounds dangerous, which it was.
The only problem is it's more of a big mountain than a valley but I like the name. If some dev(?) or mod see this please change the mapname to [Shok Ridge].
Last edited by [R-DEV]Ason; 2014-01-12 at 11:58..
Old 2014-01-12, 12:07   #42
IINoddyII
Retired Moderator
Supporting Member

name changed for you
IINoddyII is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-02, 01:11   #43
[R-DEV]​Ason
Supporting Member

Thanks Noddy

Updated first post with new pics. I also changed the heightmap to the real one.
Ason is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-02, 01:49   #44
Rabbit

Damn, whats your overgrowth count at? Also, I would honestly finish Grozny and then hopefully once you are done, the new afghan statics will be finished and you can use them.
Rabbit is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-02, 02:02   #45
[R-DEV]​Ason
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Rabbit View Post
Damn, whats your overgrowth count at? Also, I would honestly finish Grozny and then hopefully once you are done, the new afghan statics will be finished and you can use them.
OG is at 20 000, but I'm guessing it will be a bit more in the end, perhaps around 30 000.
Yeah I will finish Grozny first, I'm just starting to get tired of that map now :P
Old 2014-02-02, 02:10   #46
Rabbit

Well, I'll be honest with you, 30,000 is a bit much. I would try and keep it at around 20,000, and here are my arguments why. Dovre on first release had 30,000+-2000 OG, and a lot of statics, (5000+) it also had a very small view distance and a lot of people lagged. Currently, it still has a pretty short view distance, with its farthest one, still only being 550, and that is after it was reduced to around 20,000.

Now if you do something like 20,000 or just under in OG, plus lets say 5,000 statics, you could probably run a view distance of 800-1000 pretty easily.
Old 2014-02-02, 02:27   #47
[R-DEV]​Ason
Supporting Member

Alright thanks for that Rabbit, good to know. I guess it won't be too big of a problem to keep it around 20 000, I only got a few more valleys to paint with the denser OG material
Old 2014-02-02, 12:41   #48
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ason View Post
OG is at 20 000, but I'm guessing it will be a bit more in the end, perhaps around 30 000.
Yeah I will finish Grozny first, I'm just starting to get tired of that map now :P
you definitely want to try and keep below 20,000 . Too many trees create an issue with servers because of the number of colmeshes (it's gotta figure out whats touching what). (also note that complexity of colmeshes is important too, 10,000 complex colmeshes might be worse than 20,000 simple ones)

There are some tricks I use to help with this, adding a bush or other simple OG object with a high 'distancetoothers' creates semi-random clearings in your trees which helps performance and also creates convenient landing zones. Basically balancing the distance to same/others and density can create efficient coverage without a blanket of trees.

Additionally, using some basic photoshop skill (or by hand, but you make work for yourself) you can isolate the OG areas at the edge of the map and set them as a different material that is a lower density and lacks small OG objects like bushes amongst trees, this cuts down OG numbers in areas that aren't as important to gameplay and therefore goes less noticed.

Also keep an eye on variety, you don't want to load too many different OGs since you'll run out of RAM and crash clients

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-02, 16:55   #49
[R-DEV]​Ason
Supporting Member

Thanks for the advice Rudd! I think my original estimate at 30 k was a bit too high.
I'm down to 19 k after building the US main and also the many roads will remove a big chunk of OG aswell, so I guess it will be pretty easy to keep it at 20 000

Almost done with Loy Manara airfield/US main. ( I will perhaps make a better airfield in the future, this is the best I could do atm, also green grass areas around vegetation will also be added later)

Arma version:

Old 2014-02-02, 17:06   #50
Rabbit

I suggest you look at khamisiyah and do a mix or static and painting. Or if you feel comfortable modeling, you could do a modeled one like Rhino likes to do.

Tags
4km, 4kmwip, bamyan, concept, map, released, ridge, shok, takistan, wip