project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Squad Leader Tactics
27 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2013-08-12, 16:43   #1
Oskar
Default Guide to Squad Leading

Thought I'd post this guide I wrote for PRTA as a starting guide for new or old players wanting to take up the squad leader position, but I'm sure many of the tips will be useful for old dogs and veterans as well. Read and enjoy!

Download the PRTA Guide to Squad Leading here

prteamwork.com
Oskar is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-12, 16:50   #2
Cavazos
Default Re: Guide to Squad Leading

Thank you. I'll check it out soon.
Cavazos is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-12, 16:58   #3
Microwaife

Read it! This guy knows what he is talking about!
Microwaife is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-12, 17:10   #4
Archosaurus

- Don't be afraid to give very specific orders to your squad members. They're in your squad because
they have accepted your command. If they disobey or argue with you, let them know that it's not ok.
Squad members openly disagreeing with your idea of things will bring moral down and make the
rest of the squad confused to who's really in command.

This.
Squad members, listen to the SL, even if he's making a mistake. Be sure to advise, but do not disagree unless he is breaking the rules, the game spirit etc. Squad leaders, be stern if a squad member is being uppity, and just kick him if he will not co-operate.

- Say 'please' a lot. Even if you're the squad leader, we're all still just playing a video game, and no
one likes driving that truck back to the main base or shoveling emplacements. If your squad likes
you enough though, they'll do it anyway without you even asking!

Another point to add is be professional and thank people when assisted. Another squad is very much more so likely to assist you again if you walk up to them if you can and thank them in local.
Hell, I've even been called "sir" once, and I'm not old enough to bear that title!

- Never shout or scream at your squad members, no matter the reason. Speaking slowly and with a
clear voice is better. You'll notice that your squad members will listen to you more, the calmer you
are. If you find it hard to cut through the constant babbling, ask your squad to 'clear the channel' or
to 'listen up!'.

Do know that shouting/yelling =/= raising voice.
Usually the only time you have to do that is to make sure that everyone hears your "Alright comms silent, I'm trying to talk!", but never, ever yell at people, and never ever ever yell at people for not playing perfectly. That's just being a dick, instead give them advice.
Archosaurus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-13, 15:21   #5
Oskar

Thanks Archosaurus, those are good points! I wrote some more about similar things in the second to last chapter, "The Social Aspect".
Old 2013-08-13, 18:00   #6
Viper[ESF]

Great guide, it's like a deja vu though. Feels like reading old Mr. Marshalls guides adjusted to 1.0. You didn't play for ESF/EEF at any time, did ya?
Last edited by Viper[ESF]; 2013-08-13 at 18:13..
Old 2013-08-14, 03:59   #7
L4gi
Server Administrator (A-N)

I think Oskar was in ESF if im not mistaken.
L4gi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 23:21   #8
Heskey

This has taken me a week on and off to read cover to cover and I am thoroughly impressed. Some sections are a bit suck-egg, but overall its a very useful and up to date read, thank you!

Biggest learning point: Bounding overwatch, and Rifleman-buddy for Automatic Rifleman!
Heskey is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-26, 00:14   #9
Oskar

Thanks! If you have the time sometime, please tell me which sections or chapters that are crappy or boring and I'll try to change some stuff.
Old 2018-02-25, 13:12   #10
cabalistik_

Anyone still have the PDF saved somewhere? The link to it on dropbox appears to be dead.
cabalistik_ is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
guide, leading, squad