project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
29 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2016-09-12, 20:02   #1
Sbitan89
Default Team player, and want to use sniper kit

No matter how much I want to listen to orders and be an asset, is being a sniper basically always frowned upon?
Sbitan89 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-12, 20:42   #2
saXoni
Supporting Member
Default Re: Team player, and want to use sniper kit

Depends on how you do it, and it's easier to do it in the "right" way if you've got a squad you're kind of sticking with - then again it would require the SLs permission to grab the kit which is easier said than done. Creating a "Recon" squad, grabbing a sniper rifle and thinking you're doing the team a favor is frowned upon.
saXoni is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-12, 20:51   #3
Sbitan89

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXoni View Post
Depends on how you do it, and it's easier to do it in the "right" way if you've got a squad you're kind of sticking with - then again it would require the SLs permission to grab the kit which is easier said than done. Creating a "Recon" squad, grabbing a sniper rifle and thinking you're doing the team a favor is frowned upon.
So Ive noticed. Its really sad, I just like the slower pace of it. I only use simgle fire always on almost any gun because Ive never been good at compensating recoil on the mouse. Shooting my rifle is actually the last thing I want to do. I really enjoy the behind enemy lines aspect of it and the intel part as well. Even if I was to make my own squad I would still attach to another squad, or try to be a general asset. I would only go for kills on Officers and medics, I'm not trigger happy and understand the importance of concealment.
Old 2016-09-12, 21:08   #4
saXoni
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbitan89 View Post
So Ive noticed. Its really sad, I just like the slower pace of it. I only use simgle fire always on almost any gun because Ive never been good at compensating recoil on the mouse. Shooting my rifle is actually the last thing I want to do. I really enjoy the behind enemy lines aspect of it and the intel part as well. Even if I was to make my own squad I would still attach to another squad, or try to be a general asset. I would only go for kills on Officers and medics, I'm not trigger happy and understand the importance of concealment.
Although I don't share your view I understand what you mean. What is important to remember though is that this is still an FPS, and very far from a military simulator. Many clans have tried/are still trying to maintain a milsim aspect to their gameplay, and although it might be a lot of fun for that particular clan, it is to no help whatsoever for the rest of the team. Your team is way better off with you soloing with a rifleman kit close up instead of you soloing with a sniper kit "behind enemy lines".

I guess it all comes down to if you care about doing what's best for your team or playing the game the way you want to play it. If the latter is walking around alone doing no good for your team you most likely be called out for it.
saXoni is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-12, 21:58   #5
Sbitan89

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXoni View Post
Although I don't share your view I understand what you mean. What is important to remember though is that this is still an FPS, and very far from a military simulator. Many clans have tried/are still trying to maintain a milsim aspect to their gameplay, and although it might be a lot of fun for that particular clan, it is to no help whatsoever for the rest of the team. Your team is way better off with you soloing with a rifleman kit close up instead of you soloing with a sniper kit "behind enemy lines".

I guess it all comes down to if you care about doing what's best for your team or playing the game the way you want to play it. If the latter is walking around alone doing no good for your team you most likely be called out for it.
Oh I would never solo. I would have a spotter so so we could designate targets. Intel first, High Priority targets second, then if we are winning, free fire.
Old 2016-09-12, 22:05   #6
QuickLoad

Quote:
No matter how much I want to listen to orders and be an asset, is being a sniper basically always frowned upon?
I'm going to reply to you from someone who intensively leads infantry squads.
The perfect and conventional squad will have.
Officer
Corpsman
Rifleman
Breacher
Rifleman anti tank
Corpsman
Automatic rifleman
Grenadier

In that specific order, now this leaves room for ONE special kit, in my opinion, which is the rifleman whom I will sometimes offer the designated marksman kit.

A sniper not only lacks the ability of intense urban combat, but also the equipment to do so.
As a result, I end up placing the sniper 30 or more meters away from my now 7 man squad, but he can't get ontop of a building, so I send a breacher.

Now the sniper team can cover me effectively while being safe, but my infantry squad has just lost two rifles, and two shovels.
This can be extremely important in a variety of situations.

The snipers job is to kill targets of opurtunities and high valued targets, usually the former.
My job is to take out enemy objectives, build my own, and secure them.

The sniper does a good job at what he does. It is simply not what I need in 80% of cases.
You put it in prospect, I've authorized probably 200+ marksmen kits, but only 5-6 sniper kits in my time.
QuickLoad is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-12, 22:14   #7
Sbitan89

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickLoad View Post
I'm going to reply to you from someone who intensively leads infantry squads.
The perfect and conventional squad will have.
Officer
Corpsman
Rifleman
Breacher
Rifleman anti tank
Corpsman
Automatic rifleman
Grenadier

In that specific order, now this leaves room for ONE special kit, in my opinion, which is the rifleman whom I will sometimes offer the designated marksman kit.

A sniper not only lacks the ability of intense urban combat, but also the equipment to do so.
As a result, I end up placing the sniper 30 or more meters away from my now 7 man squad, but he can't get ontop of a building, so I send a breacher.

Now the sniper team can cover me effectively while being safe, but my infantry squad has just lost two rifles, and two shovels.
This can be extremely important in a variety of situations.

The snipers job is to kill targets of opurtunities and high valued targets, usually the former.
My job is to take out enemy objectives, build my own, and secure them.

The sniper does a good job at what he does. It is simply not what I need in 80% of cases.
You put it in prospect, I've authorized probably 200+ marksmen kits, but only 5-6 sniper kits in my time.
I would gladly use marksman as well. Precision fire is what I'm best at, positioning is something im also very good at. I just don't have the physical keyboard management to effectively lead a squad, or id do that. I feel like a burden to my squad mates having to maintain the fast pace. To make matters wise, i can't run the graphic settings too high so locating a target is a choir if I can't get a lay of the land. Im very cooperative, I'm just trying to find my place on this mod.

PS you'd be the first person I've played with to use a Grenadier
Old 2016-09-12, 22:22   #8
QuickLoad

Quote:
I would gladly use marksman as well. Precision fire is what I'm best at, positioning is something im also very good at. I just don't have the physical keyboard management to effectively lead a squad, or id do that. I feel like a burden to my squad mates having to maintain the fast pace. To make matters wise, i can't run the graphic settings too high so locating a target is a choir if I can't get a lay of the land. Im very cooperative, I'm just trying to find my place on this mod.

PS you'd be the first person I've played with to use a Grenadier
If you want, you can add me on steam and we can talk about it.
You can hold yourself accountable sometimes, but you'll find after a couple of weeks that a bad squad leader is ALSO accountable. Someone who wants instant power and does not know that his men's lives are more important than his own is destructive as can be.

A grenadier is a rifleman, only that he does not have the ability to provide ammunition (boohoo, steal the enemys ammo in the worst case) I'd trade one tow missile, or 5 epipens, or three mags for 20 rounds of 40mm-fuckyourcover.
It's a loose support role, but can play well when enemies defend their positions well.
Old 2016-09-12, 22:24   #9
Sbitan89

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickLoad View Post
If you want, you can add me on steam and we can talk about it.
You can hold yourself accountable sometimes, but you'll find after a couple of weeks that a bad squad leader is ALSO accountable. Someone who wants instant power and does not know that his men's lives are more important than his own is destructive as can be.

A grenadier is a rifleman, only that he does not have the ability to provide ammunition (boohoo, steal the enemys ammo in the worst case) I'd trade one tow missile, or 5 epipens, or three mags for 20 rounds of 40mm-fuckyourcover.
It's a loose support role, but can play well when enemies defend their positions well.
That would be great. Im not on steam, guess Id have to make a profile?
Old 2016-09-12, 22:35   #10
QuickLoad

Quote:
That would be great. Im not on steam, guess Id have to make a profile?
Yup, I wouldn't see why not, PR might be on steam someday.

Tags
kit, player, sniper, team