project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
29 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2023-04-05, 20:06   #1
dcm
Default Why was bijar removed?

I wasn't the greatest fan of the map myself. But I find myself longing for the city combat that, that map offered. It wasn't the best at it, but I loved it when the frontline shifted into the city itself. When infantry and armor came down from the hills themselves and were sheltered from tows and superfobs in the surrounding hills and could have a good time without worrying about cas or mortars or other super heavy assets interfering.

Bijar always felt like two maps to me. North and South bijar were completely different things. I miss that contrast. I know in most cases half the map went unused. But it was a nice thing to have. In a weird way bijar felt kinda like a gta map to me. Specifically like Los Santos and the surrounding countryside from the GTA:San Andreas on the original PS2.
dcm is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-06, 02:35   #2
Smol Shrum
Default Re: Why was bijar removed?

Not a fan of Bijar myself, but the map was ok, good variety for the map pool.

Meanwhile, there are maps that are excruciatingly old, made with lower than today's quality standard, almost barren and dont add any extra variety to the map pool that are still in-game:

Kashan Desert
Vadso City
Charlies Point
Korengal Valley
Silent Eagle (although, valuable for Vehicle Warfare)
Smol Shrum is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-06, 08:33   #3
InfantryGamer42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm View Post
I wasn't the greatest fan of the map myself. But I find myself longing for the city combat that, that map offered. It wasn't the best at it, but I loved it when the frontline shifted into the city itself. When infantry and armor came down from the hills themselves and were sheltered from tows and superfobs in the surrounding hills and could have a good time without worrying about cas or mortars or other super heavy assets interfering.

Bijar always felt like two maps to me. North and South bijar were completely different things. I miss that contrast. I know in most cases half the map went unused. But it was a nice thing to have. In a weird way bijar felt kinda like a gta map to me. Specifically like Los Santos and the surrounding countryside from the GTA:San Andreas on the original PS2.
Bijar was easily the worst 4km map. Having nice city (and even that claim is questionable, as assets could literarly delete anything inside it from the hills), for which you needed to pray to PR gods to get as layer could not have saved that map, as 3/4 was boring (and for infantry mostly strugling) experience to play. It was obvious that Bijar was next on removal map list, as only other alternative was total remake of that map (and it is also clear that few mappers we have will rather make there own map instead of remaking older ones).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smol Shrum View Post
Meanwhile, there are maps that are excruciatingly old, made with lower than today's quality standard, almost barren and dont add any extra variety to the map pool that are still in-game:
You do realize you perfectly explained Bijar as map in 2023? Bijar in 2023 did not add anything unicy to PR map pool, as Bamayan AAS did everything Bijar did better.

Quote:
Kashan Desert
Vadso City
Charlies Point
Korengal Valley
Silent Eagle (although, valuable for Vehicle Warfare)
Kashan (and its European cousien Silent Eagle) are one of oldest and simplest 4km maps we still have, but they still play decant enought and much better compared to Bijar. They are open in enough for large scale vehicle warfare even in AAS, while in same time offering something for infantry to do.

Vadso is near Artic experience map, that plays solid and is of much better quality compared to Bijar.

Charlies Point is one of few Vietnam maps we have. Yes, it is old, simplistic and it was not even made for PR, but until day we get new Vietnam war map (ideally map that plays around riverine warfare), I really do not see Charlies Point getting removed.

I can not really defend Korengal Valley. It is most likely also on list of maps to be removed in future.
Last edited by InfantryGamer42; 2023-04-06 at 19:21..
Old 2023-04-06, 18:40   #4
dcm

When combat on bijar shifted to the city portion, the map really shined. Getting into the city was the hard part, especially with tows and assets camping the hills, but it was worth it. It felt like two different eco systems, one outside the city and the other within the city. Kinda like an exclusive nightclub. I just want the city portion back in some capacity. Maybe a skirmish only map or something.
dcm is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-07, 09:04   #5
Smol Shrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfantryGamer42 View Post
You do realize you perfectly explained Bijar as map in 2023? Bijar in 2023 did not add anything unicy to PR map pool, as Bamayan AAS did everything Bijar did better.

Kashan (and its European cousien Silent Eagle) are one of oldest and simplest 4km maps we still have, but they still play decant enought and much better compared to Bijar. They are open in enough for large scale vehicle warfare even in AAS, while in same time offering something for infantry to do.
Bijar had a feel of modern combined arms combat: vast, focused on assets, with stronghold-like flags, yet infantry gameplay was still passable, as long as players understand that it is an asset-centric map.
Additionaly, Bijar had some dynamic: things would happen, flags would move.

I dont think map was any good, but nowhere as stale as Kashan and Silent Eagle:

Kashan Desert has an abissmal flow. At best, one side captures both bunker flags. Thats it, no one is able to attack last flags. Flag-wise its an endless stalemate, untill one team runs out of tickets.

Majority of Silent Eagle's flags are basically vehicle flags: 800m-wide chunks of absolute nothingness.

Bijar Canyons, same as Silent Eagle and Vadso City, would benefit if flag arrangement variety was removed, only optimal flags were kept, highligting only map's best points.
Dont think "variety" is a concern nowadays, there are over 70 maps in PR.
Old 2023-04-07, 13:34   #6
Outlawz7
Retired PR Developer

You've answered the question yourselves.

Quote:
Bijar Canyons, same as Silent Eagle and Vadso City, would benefit if flag arrangement variety was removed, only optimal flags were kept, highligting only map's best points.
And what are 'optimal' flags on Vadso and Silent?

Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-07, 14:14   #7
Smol Shrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawz7 View Post
And what are 'optimal' flags on Vadso and Silent?
Well, i choose wrong wording, there are no 'optimal' flags, but:

Silent Eagle is a little more bearable with standard flags (middle route). This way, embarassingly barren terrain around Upper/Lower Ridge, Lake and South/North Hill flags are not the center of attention for infantry.

For Vadso City, Island and Farm flags are the unlucky roll. They are, again, barren and feel like an afterthought.
Old 2023-04-07, 15:23   #8
InfantryGamer42

Quote:
For Vadso City, Island and Farm flags are the unlucky roll. They are, again, barren and feel like an afterthought.
And they were already once removed, for community to ask for them to be brought back.
InfantryGamer42 is offline Reply With Quote