project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
27 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Old 2010-07-02, 06:01   #1
Startrekern
Default [Map] Kashik Isle (4km) [WIP]

Name: Kashik Isle (Caz-shick) -- Originally jokingly "Kashoshan"
Size: 4km
Factions: USMC vs. MEC
Game Play Type: Amphibious assault

The terrain was originally from Kashan Desert, which I used to save a bit of time. The map as it stands does not resemble Kashan Desert in any way, though. It is a completely fictional location, but the reference coordinates give it a general area that it could be in and also provides some basic information about the terrain in the area. Here is a screenshot of the minimap before I began to repaint the terrain, with general, loose plan:

Below is a screenshot of the given reference coordinates:

A screenshot of the general terrain coloring, sans water/overgrowth/undergrowth. I have begun placing roads here as well. Beaches are a bit too large but I'll scale them down a bit of course and add more detail.

Some features the map will have:
Two city areas connected by a tunnel, industrial docks area, "stiltsville", large park, mansion on the giant green hill, coniferous trees in the mountainous regions and desert/brush/grass in the lowlands (check satellite location), radar station/missile silo, large underground bunker complex, MEC Castle, graveyard/church.

General asset plan is about the same as Muttrah City/Jabal. The MEC will have no main base and instead will deploy their assets from a variety of military centers. Most of the heavy assets will not respawn.
Startrekern is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-02, 06:09   #2
Lange

Default Re: [Map] Kashik Isle (4km) [WIP]

Looks great man will be cool to have another USMC vs MEC map to add to the list look forward to it.
Lange is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-02, 06:22   #3
dtacs
Supporting Member

Looks pretty cool, reminds me of those remote desert islands off the coast of Saudi Arabia.

I'd suggest putting the carrier a little bit more to the centre of the map for a little bit of a change, as opposed to constantly attacking from one corner of the map in a linear fashion.
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-02, 06:25   #4
Silly_Savage

I think it would be best if you contacted [R-DEV]duckhunt first to see if he'll give you permission to modify his map. I'm sure he would be more than willing, but it's always best to ask before doing so.

You did import Kashan Desert for your terrain, right?
Silly_Savage is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-02, 06:52   #5
Amok@ndy
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

well i dont think that using the same terrain to start off is a problem

but if i were you Startrekern i would try some Real Terrain Data

Amok@ndy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-02, 07:11   #6
Startrekern

Contacted Jaymz to get permission.

Anyway, it was originally intended as a simple 'flooded kashan' but in reality no longer resembles it at all .. it's likely I could have achieved the same general result with geodata or handpainting it, really, but this was far simpler and a lot less daunting of a task.

Unfortuneately the carrier placement must be as far away from the action as possible to discourage baserape.
Old 2010-07-02, 07:51   #7
Mongolian_dude
Retired Moderator

So THATS where they got the inspiration!

...mongol...

Military lawyers engaged in fierce legal action.
Mongolian_dude is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-02, 08:10   #8
Startrekern

I knew people would do that, thus why I posted the pronounciation. Care to model a bowcaster as an easter egg kit?

We can make the zip line thing shoot a harmless spray of green tracers..
Old 2010-07-03, 07:28   #9
Startrekern

Stayed up late tonight to work on Stiltsville:

Boathouse/Repair shop

Overview

Reference:

Very hodgepodge group of statics, which is okay because that's how it is in real life.

I'll probably have to put this in a bay/sheltered area though, because it wouldn't do well in an area with high waves as low as some of the statics are to the water in this case. I took a few poles though and used them to prop the statics that didn't already have any. I really thought about not using the barn, but to be honest it's perfect and doesn't look half bad there :P
Old 2010-07-03, 07:32   #10
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

Water-borne assaults, be nice to see the RIBs needed effectively
PLODDITHANLEY is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
4km, isle, kashik, map, wip