project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
04 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2006-01-24, 03:19   #1
jezzzy

Default BF using blackhawk instead of seahawk?

forgive me if this has been asked before or if theres an obvious answer, but why didn't EA go ahead with using the sea hawk? theres a bunch of pictues of it in game, and on the EA site the seahawk is listed in the vehicles rather than the blackhawk. y did they dicard it?
jezzzy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-24, 03:43   #2
Noetheinner

nah, it's the seahawk that's being used.
Noetheinner is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-24, 04:16   #3
Eddie Baker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzzy
forgive me if this has been asked before or if theres an obvious answer, but why didn't EA go ahead with using the sea hawk? theres a bunch of pictues of it in game, and on the EA site the seahawk is listed in the vehicles rather than the blackhawk. y did they dicard it?
EA called their in-game model the Seahawk because they are under the mistaken impression that it is operated by the USMC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Eddie Baker
The Seahawk in-game is allegedly an HH-60H Seahawk, which is not operated by the Marines, and bears only a superficial resemblance to the actual aircraft. The actual HH-60H is the US Navy's CSAR and special warfare (i.e. SEAL) support helicopter, capable of carrying Hellfire missiles for surface/ground attack, but it cannot carry the ESSS "stub wings" shown on EAs "Seahawk," has different engines from the Blackhawk and the rear-landing gear is located near the beginning of the tailboom (instead of near the end of the tailboom, as on the Blackhawk).

The USMC does not operate the Blackhawk or Seahawk in the utility helicopter role. The only Blackhawks in their inventory are the VH-60Ns used for what is known as "Special Air Mission," or executive transport (the President and others). See photo below:

However, the Marines do get transported by the helicopters of other services, including US Army Blackhawks, USAF Pavehawks and US Navy Seahawks when the situation calls for it, as it did in Monrovia, Liberia a while back. The photo is USMC FAST Company Marines being transported by USAF Pavehawk.

There may be quite a bit of interservice rivalry and pool-pissing, but each service is there to help the other when required since they're on the same team. Except perhaps at the service academy sporting events.
Eddie Baker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-24, 12:25   #4
jezzzy

yeah true, in the picture on the EA site, and in the short preview video, the blackhawks had the winch hubs (or fuel pods/ whatever they are) either side of the cab above the miniguns (are these the things you mentioned?).

anyway, my overall point is i think it looks cooler with the 2 hub things (i think theyre for the winches). so itll be cool if EA put it back in the next patch.
Old 2006-01-24, 15:31   #5
Mtnman

Last I knew, (and this may have changed by now) The Marine Corps transports were CH-46 Sea Knight Chinooks & CH-53 Sea Stallions.
Mtnman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-24, 15:52   #6
jezzzy

im pretty sure they replaced the sea knight with the sea hawk. the sea knight is stupidly old lol
Old 2006-01-24, 20:35   #7
BrokenArrow
Retired PR Developer

Haha Eddie what's the count on times having used those pictures? 3?

BrokenArrow is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-24, 20:38   #8
Eddie Baker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzzy
im pretty sure they replaced the sea knight with the sea hawk. the sea knight is stupidly old lol
Nope, they didn't. The USMC still operates the CH-46E Sea Knight (aka "Frog"), much to the chagrin of many of its passengers, in their medium lift helicopter squadrons, and, I say again, does not operate the Seahawk. The intended replacement for the USMC Sea Knight is the V-22 Osprey. The Navy has phased their Sea Knights out for the C/MH-60S Knighthawk.
Eddie Baker is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
blackhawk, seahawk