project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
14 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2010-12-18, 22:43   #1
Foxxy

Default The Incendiary Grenade

So recently on Northern lights a few days ago my squad came upon a German APC. We all hid behind the hill and waited for me to confirm where it was. Since there is no anti tank weapons on that map because of the CTD issue, we had to use "The last resort anti tank weapon" AKA the incendiary grenade.

I found that the APC had stopped and i ran back to my squad sitting behind the hill. At the count of 3 I rushed up to the APC, rolled a incendiary grenade under it and then told all of my squad to throw theirs. Well the APC tried escaping but it ran over a incendiary grenade that was about to blow. As you know it caught on fire, the crew bailed, and then it blew up.

Im pretty sure you can tell how we reacted to that

but I have a question for you all. Is using the incendiary grenade as a anti tank weapon cheap because it wasnt intended to be used against LIVE armor or do you use it as i use it and put it up against armor?
Last edited by Foxxy; 2010-12-18 at 22:54..
Old 2010-12-18, 22:45   #2
Jaymz
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: The Incendiary Grenade

Incendiaries doing damage to armour is a bug. It's not intended at all. The only vehicles they should damage are trucks/jeeps.

For the record, everything in the current code dictates that they should do no damage to Tanks or APC's. But for some strange reason...they do. I can't understand it really.

"Clear the battlefield and let me see, All the profit from our victory." - Greg Lake
Jaymz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-18, 22:47   #3
Foxxy

So your saying its a exploit?
Foxxy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-19, 00:06   #4
*]H[* Apollo|Hawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Jaymz View Post
Incendiaries doing damage to armour is a bug. It's not intended at all. The only vehicles they should damage are trucks/jeeps.

For the record, everything in the current code dictates that they should do no damage to Tanks or APC's. But for some strange reason...they do. I can't understand it really.
Is it fixed for the next patch?
*]H[* Apollo|Hawks is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-19, 00:08   #5
Tarranauha200

As someone said in tread long time ago:
"Thermite burns trough everything, even PR code"
Last edited by Tarranauha200; 2010-12-19 at 11:14..
Old 2010-12-19, 00:18   #6
Ninja2dan
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarranauha200 View Post
As someone said in tread long time ago:
"Termite burns trough everything, even PR code"
[IMG]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A2KJkIW0Tg1NfHMAYQyjzbkF/SIG=12pn39khl/EXP=1292804148/**http%3a//blog.netoffer.com/primepest/files/2009/07/termites-picture.jpg[/IMG]

"Termites" will eat a hole through a wooden APC, but I think you meant "Thermite".

And according to Jaymz, it is not an intended effect. But because the game still allows it, I don't think I would necessarily consider it an "exploit". If you were chucking the grenades at a specific point on the vehicle that caused them to clip through a portion of the model, then that would be an exploit. But it sounds like right now it's simply an unintended feature/function.

I would guess that this capability will be removed as soon as the team can figure out what it causing it. Or at least some form of modification of the feature that falls within their intended use.

Ninja2dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-19, 05:53   #7
Wh33lman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxxy View Post
...but I have a question for you all. Is using the incendiary grenade as a anti tank weapon cheap because it wasnt intended to be used against LIVE armor or do you use it as i use it and put it up against armor?
you got really lucky that your grenades killed an active vehicle. if your close enough to throw a grenade on a tank/APC, your too close. if it hasnt seen you, predend like you dont exist, dont go throwing grenades on it.

i wouldnt say its cheap, but too hard to use to make it a practical weapon. i dont bother if theyre close enough because its only going to give away my position. from a vehicle standpoint, if somebodys throwing incendary grenades, its time to move. but it also means they dont have any real AT handy and are just trying to scare you.
Wh33lman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-19, 06:53   #8
dtacs
Supporting Member

Someone on TG threw 2 incendiary grenades at two seperate APCs on Wanda Shan and killed them both, think it was Aeron_CDN. Everybody was laughing their heads off since our AT couldn't manage to kill them.

I wouldn't consider it an exploit since it is so uncommon. But at the same time, the regular grunt rifleman having the ability to destroy a tank is unrealistic.
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-19, 08:01   #9
Jaymz
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

for the lulz : FM 21-75 Appendix H

Quote:
There are many weapons that you can use to destroy a tank or an armored personnel carrier. The weapons most frequently used are LAWs, Dragons, TOWs, mines, and high-explosive dual-purpose (HEDP) rounds of the M203 grenade launcher. There may be times, however, when you will not have these weapons available. In such cases, you may have to use field expedient devices. This appendix describes some appropriate devices.
Quote:
Eagle fireball.

This is made with an ammunition can, a gas and oil mixture, a white phosphorous grenade wrapped with detonating cord, tape, a nonelectric blasting cap, a fuse igniter, and a grapnel (or rope with bent nails). To construct an eagle fireball, fill the ammunition can with the gas and oil mixture. Wrap the grenade with detonating cord and attach a nonelectric firing system (app B) to the end of the detonating cord. Place the grenade inside the can with the time fuse extending out of it. Make a slot in the can's lid for the time fuse to pass through when the lid is closed. If available, attach a rope with bent nails or a grapnel to the can. When you throw the can onto a vehicle, the bent nails or the grapnel will help hold the can on the vehicle. Before throwing the can, fire the fuse igniter.

Quote:
Eagle cocktail.

This is made of a plastic or rubberized bag (a waterproof bag, a sandbag lined with a poncho, or a battery case placed inside a sandbag), a gas and oil mixture, a smoke grenade, a thermite grenade, tape, string, and communications wire or cord. To construct an eagle cocktail, fill the bag with the gas and oil mixture. Seal the bag by twisting its end and then taping or tying it. Attach the thermite and smoke grenades to the bag using tape, string, or communications wire. When attaching the grenades, do not bind the safety levers on the grenades. Tie a piece of string or cord to the safety pins of the grenades. Before throwing the eagle cocktail, pull the safety pins in both grenades.

"Clear the battlefield and let me see, All the profit from our victory." - Greg Lake
Jaymz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-19, 18:13   #10
Mantak08

there's also a serious bug with the thirmite grenades and the BTRs. im prety sure its happened to me in most APCs but the BTRs are the ones i notice it most in. what happens is, we have the APC in close support of an inf squad and after clearing out an enemy position or cash, the inf start incendearing the let over assets. my APC promptly takes a shaiat load of damage in under 2 seconds and explodes regardless of the fact that the incendiary was thrown 20m+ away from my vehicle.

Mantak08 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
grenade, incendiary