project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > News / Announcements > PR Highlights > PR Dev Journal Archives > 2008
05 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-02, 03:09   #1
[R-DEV]​Dr Rank
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default [Map] Sangin [WIP]

A meticulously planned 4km of Afghanistan based on extensive research taken from discussions with [R-DEV]UK_Force, video footage, photos and information gathered from the Helmand Exhibition at the National War Museum. Set mainly in an area of the Green Zone that follows the Helmand River through Sangin, the map includes Camp Bastion (the main base in the bottom left of the map - in RL Bastion is much further out in the same direction as it currently is in game so there will be a dome of death around it to prevent the Taliban forces getting near it in game, simulating the distance as best as possible). It also includes the Sangin MT (Main Town) FOB which has seen some of the most intensive fighting in the region. As you'll see, the FOB is modelled as accurately as I could get it, and bares more than a passing resemblance! It took AGES to make!!

Some key features include:
  • Overgrowth grass fields i.e. grass you can hide in

• Compounds modelled from google images/video footage

• Fields etc modelled from a combination of google images and video footage

• Insurgency gamemode against a Taliban force (Insurgent models for the time being)

• Realistic vehicles in operation i.e. for the British the Harrier, Apaches, Scimitars, an A-10 and Landrovers (the merlin will probably be used as a place holder until the game gets a chinook) Air assets are not confirmed, it will come down to balancing, ideally all those mentioned here will feature.

Here's some WIP Screenshots alongside some rl images taken from military videos:

Thanks to Nickbond, Katarn and Dbzao for posing for me in the screens

Last edited by [R-DEV]Dr Rank; 2008-03-02 at 03:25.. Reason: one more rl pic added
Old 2008-03-02, 03:31   #2
3===SPECTER===3

WOW!!! GREAY MAP...

Did you get the idea from the Ross Kemp in Afghanistan Documentary That takes place near and in the exact same place?
Old 2008-03-02, 03:33   #3
Glebaka

"Overgrowth grass fields i.e. grass you can hide in"
that would be awesome ,like in cod4(ghilley in the mist)
overall i think would be great map
Old 2008-03-02, 03:36   #4
[R-DEV]​Dr Rank
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3===SPECTER===3 View Post
WOW!!! GREAY MAP...

Did you get the idea from the Ross Kemp in Afghanistan Documentary That takes place near and in the exact same place?
Cheers, I started this last July, about the time he was out there making it! But yeah, it provided some useful refs, particularly for some of the field ideas.

Old 2008-03-02, 04:31   #5
Expendable Grunt

I...CAME!
Old 2008-03-02, 04:33   #6
Eddiereyes909
Retired Forum Moderator

awesome.

So the scimitar can swim ?
Old 2008-03-02, 05:16   #7
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

yep, like ranky has said hes been working on this map for some time now and wan't directly inspired by Ross Kemp in Afghanistan but it did provide with some really nice HD refs

The map as you see it now will change alot from what you see it now too the time when its ingame, going to need alot of terrain work done still for the surrounding mouintins etc, all its textures will be terrain textures will be redone most likly and there are going to be lots of new, non destructible statics going to be made due to the fact the map has not even got anything like as many compounds as we hope to have in it, and its already at its max destructible items limit thou we do plan to put in as many destructible objects as possible in the map

The vehicle layout ranky has posted above may not be the final due to gameplay issues thou we will see how things go, in the end we want to have this map as close to reality as possible so we will try and use as many realistic assets as we have available to us in the map, that also keep it fair for both sides

If you want to visualize what this map will be like to play on, just think Al Basrah, but spread over the size of Kashan/Qinling with no city, and lots of villages / compounds in it which contain the ammo chaches / objectives

and no eddie, the scimitar cant swim, its just fording the river

Old 2008-03-02, 05:16   #8
crazy11
Retired PR Developer

Wow great map I love it and cant wait to play on it.
Old 2008-03-02, 05:25   #9
Oldirti

Dayum...this map is so good.

.8 will be THE patch. While .7 gave us the true gameplay for PR, .8 will give us the maps to play them on.
Old 2008-03-02, 05:36   #10
Fearosius

Oh.. crap, I squirted PR juice all ver my keyboard.
Closed Thread

Tags
map, maps, sangin, wip