project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
07 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2014-02-06, 11:43   #1
[R-DEV]​Ason
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default [suggestion] Afghan Buildings

Hey guys, I don't know if anyone besides Rhino is making Afghan statics but here is a suggestion which I think would help mappers who want to make villages in valleys.

The thing I would like to suggest is to make these "terraces"/boxes under the houses. It would make it alot easier to build villages in slopes since you wouldn't have to mess around that much with the terrain.

They seem rather simple to make aswell, basically seems like boxes with stairs on the sides and perhaps the wooden fences. Either connected or unconnected to the buildings.

Ason is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 11:48   #2
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: [suggestion] Afghan Buildings

Quote:
- Dont post suggestions in this area. If you have an idea but dont plan on working on it, or just want to get feedback, post it in the Suggestions and Feedback section. This area is for Work In Progress stuff.
This ain't a suggestion forum mate

Also, rhino is focusing on afghan compound buildings I believe, like you see on the flat grounds in Arma takistan. Not the 'mountain' buildings you see on your pic. So even if you make these terraces I still don't think rhino's static will fit well on it. Could be wrong though

Mineral is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 11:55   #3
[R-DEV]​Ason
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Mineral View Post
This ain't a suggestion forum mate

Also, rhino is focusing on afghan compound buildings I believe, like you see on the flat grounds in Arma takistan. Not the 'mountain' buildings you see on your pic. So even if you make these terraces I still don't think rhino's static will fit well on it. Could be wrong though
I wanted to post it in the suggestion section but I thought since it wasn't a suggestion about the game but a modelling suggestion I didn't think it would be right to post it there :P
Just wanted to post it in case someone else was making afghan buildings and hadn't thought of this
Ason is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 12:01   #4
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

A model suggestion is a game suggestion

Mineral is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 13:15   #5
Hulabi
Supporting Member

AFAIK he is suggesting that someone from the community would make these?
Hulabi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 18:58   #6
waldov

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]Hulabi View Post
AFAIK he is suggesting that someone from the community would make these?
Yeah its more like a proposal/concept as opposed to an actual suggestion.
waldov is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 20:37   #7
LITOralis.nMd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

This is a brilliant idea. My own attempt at mapping for PR ended in frustration with this exact problem.

Rhino will have the texture sheets for his walls and houses, building a cube and adding a staircase from another regular static would mean using existing texture sheets.

This sounds like a reasonably easy idea, but might have to wait until Rhino agrees to share his texture sheets with the public.

There is one non-enterable single story building that has a staircase to the roof (used in the NW corner of Ramiel), where you might literally be able to slap Rhino's textures on it, remove the shutters and doorframe COLs and LoDs, and be done with it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2xy9nyfua6...5-43-52-65.png

Last edited by [R-COM]LITOralis.nMd; 2014-02-06 at 20:45..
Old 2014-02-07, 01:14   #8
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

This is something we have actually talked about and I may make in time BUT as Mineral said, I'm currently making Southern Afghanistan (Helmand) Buildings which are very different from Northern Afghanistan ones which are a bit like the ARMA2: OA ones, but they are more like Pakistani buildings than any Afghani ones.

This is the kinda thing I'm making and for the terrain its for, as Mineral also said it is pretty flat for the most part:

That being said, all my buildings (and most of my walls) all have a 1m foundation that comes with them (which most vBF2 buildings do not) which means that these do not have to be placed on totally flat terrain and can be placed on slight gradients too, with lots of play in the terrain under them

These "large foundations" your talking about for Northern Afghanistan statics is something that are pretty easy to make (although will possibly require some new textures) and as I said, I may make them later on once the Helmand statics are done for a possible "Northern variant" of my statics, if there is a significant demand for it and I've got the time/energy to do them but most of my Helmand statics won't convert very well into Northern ones as they are very different:

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-07, 01:31   #9
Rabbit

Actually RC North is primarily mud houses too, just like the south, its RC East that you start to see a lot of stone.
Rabbit is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-07, 02:01   #10
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Rabbit View Post
Actually RC North is primarily mud houses too, just like the south, its RC East that you start to see a lot of stone.
The type and shape of the buildings varies tremendously from province to province and then even inside the provinces you see massive variation from one small area to the next.

Helmand (SE) you see a lot of single story "arched roofed" and "flat roofed" and even "domed roofed" buidlings, with the very occasional two story "flat roofed" here and there but you mainly see them in the towns. Material is the mud type coding you see above.

Herat (NE) you see primarily domed roofed buildings, also with an odd chimney thing sticking out the top of most with some flat roofed buildings, mainly single story. Material is a similar mud material you see in Hemand.

Faryab (N) you pretty much only see flat roofed buildings, mainly single story but the odd two story ones with the same sort of type of mud material for the most part.

Nuristan (NW) is pretty much again all flat roofed buildings, but with quite an equal mix of single and multi story buildings, depending largely on the terrain they are built on with the material being mainly stone, but you also do see a few mud huts and even oddly enough some wood huts.

There are a total of 34 difference provinces in Afghanistan and while quite a few are similar, they do vary a lot.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
afghan, buildings, suggestion