project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
09 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2008-08-05, 00:57   #1
Tofurkeymeister
Smile [Vehicle] MTVR [WIP]

Here is my first attempt at modeling an actual vehicle. Not that I used Autodesk Inventor for the modeling as-so-far. While this is a CAD suite, I am well accustomed to it, and will later import the finished model into 3DS Max.

As to the vehicle itself, it is the MTVR (Medium Tactical Vehicle Replacement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) or Medium Tactical Vehicle Replacement. It is the truck which is due to replace the 5-ton standard soon in the USMC, as it itself is a "7-ton" truck. It would be a useful addition to the PR arsenal.

As-so-far, after several hours of mucking about, I have managed to finish a small portion of the front. Note that this is very much a WIP, and will continue to expand and improve with time.

Note: Rounded areas are temporary, and the hood is harder to make than it seems at first

Actual Vehicle

Isometric View

Isometric View (Illustration Mode)

Side View

Top View

Pine Wood
Last edited by Tofurkeymeister; 2008-08-05 at 00:58.. Reason: messes up with Note section
Old 2008-08-05, 02:24   #2
Clypp

Default Re: [Vehicle] MTVR [WIP]

I prefer CAD programs (Solidworks and Pro/E) for modeling since I have a lot of experience with both at work. They are also infinitely easier to model things to scale. That said, they are not designed with performance in mind and are, in a sense, infinitely high poly.

Perhaps the import tools do a better job than I expect, I certainly hope so but be prepared to have trouble making this suitable for BF2.
Clypp is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-05, 02:52   #3
ReaperAce712

awesome!!!! guntruck variant *cough*
ReaperAce712 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-05, 03:11   #4
Swe_Olsson

this is a wicked truck, but what kind of purpose could it have . afterall PR already has a material/troop transport truck, dont really see the need of another one.

good start though, *thumbs up*
Swe_Olsson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-05, 08:16   #5
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

CAD programs and game modeling simply do not mix. Trust me, I've tried many times before I could use max.

CAD is there to get the best accurate finishing with not even thinking of poly count. Game modelling is the 100% opposite where you are not trying to make something that accurate, all your trying to archive is make it look like you want it to, even if it means missing out vital bits just to save on the poly count. Most likely when you export that max scene its going to be in the 100,000,000 of polys and will not be usable in any way.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-05, 15:05   #6
Tofurkeymeister

Imported it into 3DS Max. Actually have 308 Polys (374 verts) without the rounded edges. Not sure if that is suitable though. It isn't infinate, I can say that for sure . Granted I had to tell it to import low-quality. Any comments on whether that Poly-Count is too high? Keep in mind that the hood has A LOT of curves.

Note: On the contrary, I could kick it up a notch to 1,000+ polys if I felt like it :P.

Note 2: It is a useful truck as the current one will be replaced REALLY SOON my the one I have shown. This is the most realistic Transport truck for the USMC.

Clay Render of Front... Polycount High for this Render, Will add more Detail Soon
Last edited by Tofurkeymeister; 2008-08-05 at 18:31.. Reason: Added Photo
Old 2008-08-05, 22:21   #7
EOD_Security-2252

Really nice work, I hope the devs will consider using this to replace the Deuce Truck, which the USMC doesn't really use.
EOD_Security-2252 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-05, 23:48   #8
Celestial1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofurkeymeister View Post
Just an FYI, don't forget the windshield should be split and curved at the bottom, looking at the reference pic.
Celestial1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-06, 00:03   #9
Tofurkeymeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial1 View Post
Just an FYI, don't forget the windshield should be split and curved at the bottom, looking at the reference pic.
Thanks, but that happens to be the up-armored version (modified). The vehicle ships factory with a single piece windshield. Either way its better than the current truck we have in terms of protection, as it is REALLY large.

Update: My friend will be able to texture it in Desert and "Forest" colors as soon as I'm finished with the model.

And one question, for this truck, which has a visible driver, the cab should be open, correct?

Regards,

Tofurkeymeister

Some Extra Work I managed to Sneak In :P Added Fuel Tank, Door, Steps, Pure Awesomeness
Last edited by Tofurkeymeister; 2008-08-06 at 02:26.. Reason: Added Photo
Old 2008-08-06, 08:12   #10
EOD_Security-2252

I'm assuming Forest will just be OD Green and Desert is the stanard khaki color?
EOD_Security-2252 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
mtvr, transport, truck, vehicle, wip