project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mini-Mods > PR:WWII General Discussion
14 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:WWII General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality WWII modification.

Old 2012-10-22, 17:02   #1
AfterDune
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Arrow MS Paint your ultimate Operation Overlord!

We could think about flag layouts and assets all day, but in the end, YOU guys are the ones playing it. So here's a challenge for ya .

MS Paint your ultimate Operation Overlord layout!

STEP 1:
Open the Overlord minimap in MS Paint! (map below)

STEP 2:
Draw your ultimate flag layout & share!

The rules?
- No planes!
- If you add tanks, add very little!
- Feel free to use flag routes or randomized flags
- If more statics are required in an area, make it clear
- Design the layout for Skirmish, 64 players or >64 players
- Make clear if this is the day-version (beach assault) or the night version (paradrop)
- Provide a "legend" if the map is not big enough to draw on

The map:

Good luck!

Old 2012-10-22, 17:38   #2
Blondey
Banned
Supporting Member

Default Re: MS Paint your ultimate Operation Overlord!

haha, seems like a challenge. May do it on the weekend! Sounds quite fun to be fair Will like to see lots of different ideas!
Old 2012-10-22, 17:50   #3
Kevokpo

actually I really liked the original flag layout of the map
Old 2012-10-22, 18:47   #4
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

Spoiler for images:

allow me to explain.

yellow: you don't build bunkers on top of the ground you them build below ground. if possible lower the terrain so that the bunkers can be on "ground level". And/or move some of them out a bit. This is only if you have super much time. ignore the big yellow blob.

cyan: i don't remember the flags so good but i recall them being pretty good that's why there's a ? so maybe some flags from the original layout could be "randomed".

purple: in order to the trenches to fit there the terrain would be little higher. again, nothing too important.

blue: craters. the allies shelled this pretty well. i put them off objecteives to show that they didn't aim so good.

red: trenches. just a bit of realism. the germans would have prepared objectives with defensives. mainly the village, mortar battery and aa battery. if yellow were to be implemented this would make more sense as you wouldn't "go up" to get into the bunkers.

in short: more trenches

Old 2012-10-22, 18:50   #5
Pvt.LHeureux
-

Alex, trenches are fucking hard to make with BF2 engine, I doubt we'll make too much of them. But I wanted to make the bunkers underground too which I will work on.
Old 2012-10-22, 19:25   #6
Heavy Death

Simpel flag layout. 128 version, maybe even 64, doesnt really matter.

Some legend;
Red=1A group. All flags active at once.
Yellow=2A group. One of those crossroads randomly comes into play.
Green=2B group. One of those crossroads randomly comes into play.
Blue=3A group. Both are active.
Darkblue=4A. Last flag for US to cap.

Idea is that ofcourse beach invasion is a beach invasion, but not so much of a flag grab... simplified it. Next the crossroads needed to be secured. First part and then deeper inland. A portion of the team must already keep the germans from reinforcing from the HQ/village, while other cap the inland crossroads.
Its simple and simple is often the best.
Old 2012-10-23, 05:01   #7
AfterDune
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Keep 'em coming, guys!
Don't forget about assets .

(sorry Psyko, I removed your image)

Old 2012-10-23, 06:17   #8
Heavy Death

Assets are up to you... Some light vehicles, supply trucks etc. logistics mainly. After the 2A and 2B get capped maybe both teams get a tank. Or alternatively, germans get one tank after beaches have been lost but when us cap 2nd line, they get two shermans.
Old 2012-10-23, 08:40   #9
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]AfterDune View Post
Don't forget about assets .
Yeah, the assets and flags are good, it's the details i think needs improvement.

Old 2012-10-23, 09:00   #10
AfterDune
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

@sweedensniiperr: Trenches are indeed quite hard to do right now. We would require better statics to blend the trenches better with the terrain. FH2 has done an excellent job at this - they have better trench models .
We could place more "rubble" on this part of the terrain instead, more (destroyed) bunkers and such.

Regarding bunkers, that's the same thing basically. Though the latest version of Overlord has a revamped Mortar Battery, all bunkers there are replaced with new bunkers, more dug in. They're still on top of the terrain, but look better than the old one.

The hard part on this map which I think is a bit of a flaw, is that the beach is almost 2km wide. The Allies can attack any part of the beach right now. Now that's fine if you have 200 players on your server, but when you're there with only 64, that's quite the problem. Well, we can (partially) solve that by changing the combat area and block certain parts of the beach. I'm thinking in the lines of blocking parts of "Fox".

If you don't do something like that, you won't be able to defend the beach as Germans properly and the US can attack anywhere, even on places where the Germans don't have anyone defending.

Tags
operation, overlord, paint, ultimate