Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Developer Blogs > Rhino
18 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Rate this Entry
Mud, Bricks and Sweat
Posted in: Mapping
Posted 2013-09-06 at 16:14 by [R-DEV]Rhino

[CENTER][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/lfYi1AB.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

EDIT: For those of you who can't work out what this is from just the screenshot, these are a new set of Afghan Walls with each one you see their being a unique wall. Although the difference between some is just they are higher/lower than others, but most are different shape, size and function and have different texture setups etc too.

This is simply a screenshot of the palette me and Dr Rank put together so he can see all the walls available to him so he can pick and choose from them when making his map :)
[CENTER][IMG]http://cdn.cakecentral.com/9/95/95a7453a_paint_palette2_161.jpeg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Updated 2013-09-06 at 19:19 by [R-DEV]Rhino
Views: 34171 | Comments: 41

« Previous Entry  |  Main  |  Next Entry »

Comments
Total Comments: 41
  1. Old Comment
    Realy cool
  2. Old Comment
    Fuuuuuuuuu
  3. Old Comment
    honestly i just want to run them over
  4. Old Comment
    HOLY SHIT! that paintbrush picture in rhino's post was in a game called jump-start spanish, a program used to teach the very fundamentals of spanish to very young children. I was 4 at the time.
  5. Old Comment
    I think you need some more walls.. not every possibility is being covered...
  6. Old Comment
    hmmm quite some walls and all share the same texture? why didnt you give them some color variance ?

btw: just tried to count. are those approx. 1400 variations ?
    Updated 2013-10-18 at 01:53 by StaazVaind
  7. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronTaxi View Comment
    I think you need some more walls.. not every possibility is being covered...
    hehe, I've in fact still gotta make some

Quote:
    Originally Posted by StaazVaind View Comment
    hmmm quite some walls and all share the same texture? why didnt you give them some color variance ?

btw: just tried to count. are those approx. 1400 variations ?
    Generally speaking the walls and buildings in Afghanistan are more or less the same colour in the same area, with a few exceptions.

Mappers can also do some edits to the textures on a map by map basis if they want to represent a different area of Afghanistan that has a different type of mud or w/e but that will be up to the mapper. Also the colour can easily be changed just by changing the map's lighting even, although its better to edit the texture as those changes apply to all statics. My test map has quite a yellow lighting, tbh a bit too yellow, their texture is much less yellow than that.

On top of this having all the walls and buildings sharing the same textures/materials means much, much better performance. Also what I've been able to save on lots of different types of texture I've been able to use far higher rez textures than your normally use to seeing in PR:BF2, although if we run into some performance/memory usage problems I may need to drop the rez a bit but so far things are looking good there.

But there are actually some texture differences between the wall types, in all there are (currently) four main texture sets although they all use the same colour and detail textures, with just different combinations of crack textures (although not always used for "crack"/damage).

As for the amount of walls there are, its actually around 2,400 (the two lowest wall types are too small to support the fourth texture set so they only have three), although they are not all totally unique and that's before you consider the same walls that just have a height differences.
    Updated 2013-10-19 at 11:38 by [R-DEV]Rhino
  8. Old Comment
    hmmm but all your walls look so straight, do you think you can achieve
    walls like seen here with your assets??

9. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StaazVaind View Comment
    hmmm but all your walls look so straight, do you think you can achieve
    walls like seen here with your assets??

http://i.imgur.com/ooMOjl5.jpg
    around 1/2 the walls are straight, 1/2 of them are what I call "wavy" which while they do end up in the same place as straight walls but they flex in and out on the way there. Making a curved wall section is very possible, the mapper just needs to place them like that.

Although your picture isn't very typical setup for Afghanistan either, especially not for Helmand which is the main province I'm concentrating on.
  10. Old Comment
    ok, maybe its just my bad eyes because on your screenshot you've put all walls.
    would you mind showing a shot with the curved ones? i assume they are all the way in the back of your shot, right ? too many to fit on one screenshot

on a sidenote:
    i m working on my map laskar gha, which is in the hearth of helmand and there are plenty of
    occasions for curved walls. what you do is your thing, i dont argue on that. just telling you:
    curved walls exist ;D but pssshhht - dont tell the kids

Updated 2013-10-23 at 19:42 by StaazVaind