project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Developer Blogs > Rabbit
09 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Rate this Entry
5 Pillars
Posted in: Uncategorized
Posted 2014-10-19 at 03:16 by Rabbit

Shahadah, is a fictional 2km Northern Iraqi city that sits between mountains and a river. Originally the map was created for a Single Player map pack Spyker and myself have been working on, as a break from a larger project I have in the works. After about a week of work, it caught the eye of the Polish faction. After a short discussion with ddeo he decided he would like me to tweak it a bit and make it for the Polish faction. I decided to go with a bit different route with this map to make it a bit different from others in PR. What I did was I started to make what I call "Hell Houses", these are unique insides to several buildings that have a host of twist and turns along with covered windows that force players to fight top down.

Another addition I made to these is what I call "selectable cover", you have barriers over windows you can choose to open (via shotgun) to shoot out of, or leave closed to prevent the enemy from seeing in.

Now to show it off a bit more, here is the minimap and some screen shots! Also don't worry, I'm sure there will be a public event very soon.

Views: 20939 | Comments: 25

« Previous Entry  |  Main  |  Next Entry »

Comments
Total Comments: 25
  1. Old Comment
    First! Nice work as usual
  2. Old Comment
    When you say that there will be a public event, will it be featuring the Polish faction or existing ones?
  3. Old Comment
    Very nice work indeed, looking forward to fighting there.

As an aside, how crazy difficult is it to create new buildings? It seems as though PR could use a larger variety of buildings to make the walks through cities more "real"... restaurants, taverns, bus terminals, train stations, etc... Maybe creating new buildings is difficult beyond the benefits of the added variety? Just wondering, don't know what's involved.

P.S. Yes, I do think I'm seeing buildings in those photos that do look new/original (apart from the Hell House, I mean).
    Posted 2014-10-19 at 04:29 by TheMerchantOfMenace TheMerchantOfMenace is offline
    Updated 2014-10-19 at 04:31 by TheMerchantOfMenace (Added post-script.)
  4. Old Comment
    TheMerchantOfMenace, check this thread to see what it's like learning to do statics for PR for the first time

My second building only took a month or so, and since then it has become much quicker.

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f388...arage-wip.html
  5. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheMerchantOfMenace View Comment
    As an aside, how crazy difficult is it to create new buildings? It seems as though PR could use a larger variety of buildings to make the walks through cities more "real"... restaurants, taverns, bus terminals, train stations, etc... Maybe creating new buildings is difficult beyond the benefits of the added variety? Just wondering, don't know what's involved.
    Depends very much on the type of object etc but worth reading this tutorial here which will help you with the basics of making a static
    https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f189...structure.html
  6. Old Comment
    I see caves in the mini-map!
  7. Old Comment
    Great work as always Rabbit
  8. Old Comment
    I'm very please to see an attractive urban map like this one, thanks rabbit.
  9. Old Comment
    hope it isent laggy
    Posted 2014-10-19 at 12:14 by NoahLatexGryphon NoahLatexGryphon is offline
  10. Old Comment
    Looks great, really looking forward to it. The idea of blocking the window and entrances is awesome! It's gonna make for some really intense CQB.

I was thinking, though, the city is pretty narrow and there are a lot of small compounds outside of it so it might be easy for bluefor to surround the cache locations and overrun the insurgent hideouts. Does the terrain outside of the urban areas have enough cover to build hideouts and make sending reinforcements from them possible?