project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Developer Blogs > eggman
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Rate this Entry
PR2 R&D #2 - more wacky stuff
Posted in: Uncategorized
Posted 2009-08-04 at 00:14 by eggman

Vaiski recently won second place in the "C4 Shader Contest". He's continuing to experiment with the C4 engine. Here's a couple of "proof of concept" things he's been working with.

This stuff is by no means reflective of game features; rather what Vaiski was experimenting with was how much can be done with the Graphical Script Editor that is part of C4 (it's a like like the Kismet editor from the Unreal engines).

The thing about the C4 graphical editor (like Kismet) is that it allows non programmers to perform some very powerful game play scripting. It's also a real time editor, so when you make changes they can be tested immediately without recompiling the game (an important aspect of workflow for rapid prototyping).

The first one is a roughed in concept that could work as thermal vision:
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uwlyhOmbSkI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uwlyhOmbSkI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

The next one if a roughed in proof of concept around an AAS Game Mode. It uses obvious placeholder elements to show the basic logic.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pS5JRviZFLs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pS5JRviZFLs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Again we're still in the pre-production stages with PR2 (aka fooling around to learn the ins and outs of the C4 engine and of game development in general).

But we're making some progress and have done some work to move from pre-production into development of our first milestone test build (which will have many smaller build leading up to it).

egg
Updated 2009-08-04 at 00:42 by eggman
Views: 30521 | Comments: 23

« Previous Entry  |  Main

Comments
Total Comments: 23
  1. Old Comment
    Interesting. I liked the dynamic shadows, that looked pretty good.

I wish you guys good luck with this, it's a huge project you startet there, I really hope you'll finish it. The community is with you
  2. Old Comment
    Very interesting, but I hope the team steers away from the "flag" game-modes in PR2.
  3. Old Comment
    wow working flashlights, that's something that Half Life had back in 1998, then every newer game failed at it.
  4. Old Comment
    PR2 for pres?
  5. Old Comment
    All those spinning things gave me nostalgia for Total Annihilation...

And oh man is this looking sweet already, I would sell you my kidney to pay for this but I only got one left and I need it for food.
  6. Old Comment
    I admit, i was a bit sceptical at first. but sometimes i need a reminder that the programmers and mappers under the PR umbrella are actually 24 carat gold.

im very impressed. please keep impressing me
  7. Old Comment
    What does Pr have to do with C4? Are we changing engine?

EDIT: I read the sticky, so no need calling me an idiot On another note. Are there two teams? One for PR and one for PR2?
    Updated 2009-08-04 at 02:12 by Wattershed
  8. Old Comment
    C4 is the engine the PR2 has chosen to use for the sequel. PR will remain a BF2 hack forever (unless EA/Dice releases source code—nobody is holding their breath). By using the C4 engine, PR2 can be it's own game, coded to behave and respond however the devs design it to.
  9. Old Comment
    wattershed it is pr2, and it is based on the new engine PR won during the MODDB votings.

this looks quite epic. good stuff eggman

i gotta get my hands on some kind of editor for the engine... off to google.
  10. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Farks View Comment
    PR2 for pres?
    Vote PR2!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HughJass View Comment
    wattershed it is pr2, and it is based on the new engine PR won during the MODDB votings.
    Nope. The engine they won (Torque?) wasn't good enough, so they got a C4 license instead.