project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Developer Blogs > PARAMEDIC.CA
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.
Devils Tower: a future Canadian map
Posted in: Mapping
Posted 2009-02-16 at 19:35 by PARAMEDIC.CA

Devils Tower is a map that I have been working on for almost a year. Its another Afghanistan Map made for the yet to be released Canadian Faction. I have pleasure of collaborating with [B][COLOR=Blue][R-DEV] Katarn[/COLOR][/B] who generated the heightmaps, [B][COLOR=Blue][R-DEV] Duckhunt[/COLOR][/B] and [B][COLOR=Navy][R-DEV] Fuzzhead[/COLOR][/B] as advisers, and [B]spacemanc [/B]as my colour and detail maps advisor.

This maps terrain will be a pleasurable mix of variable elevations, huge travel distances (over 30km of roads), and long view distances (2500m). The assets at this point of production are irrelevant, however the map will feature AAS, Insurgency, and Skirmish game modes.

[CENTER][IMG]http://www.themonkeysfist.ca/maps/dt2.jpg[/IMG]

[LEFT][B][U]The Terrain: [/U][/B]
The terrain was selected using a actual Digital Elevation Model image and has been tweaked somewhat to "fit" the BF2 engine. In creating terrains of this size there are many considerations that need to inform the design process. Some of these considerations are send-user performance, aesthetic ROI's, game play effects, ect, ect.

[CENTER][I][IMG]http://www.themonkeysfist.ca/maps/terrain.jpg[/IMG]
the terrain contour shown in terragen, the colours are not the same in game:
[/I]

[IMG]http://www.themonkeysfist.ca/maps/layout.jpg[/IMG]
[/CENTER]

[B][U]The View Distance[/U]:[/B] ([I]or as I call it, the field of influence or FOI[/I] 8-))
We have tweaked the FOI from 1000 to 4000 meters with variable results. To the most part the engine can handle an efficiently made map to about 3000 meters. Unfortunately, most of the BF2 objects, game play processes are not prepared to engage at these distances and some considerations and preparatory work will need to be done before we start seeing maps of this size in PR.

[B][U]Combat Environments[/U]:[/B]
[CENTER][IMG]http://www.themonkeysfist.ca/maps/west2.jpg[/IMG]
[/CENTER]

[B][U]New Ideas, Tweaks, and Concepts[/U]:[/B]

[LIST][*][U]Bending the engine to stop bending:[/U] the PR team has found a way to inhibit morphing of the terrain by the BF2 engine. With few small tweaks the terrain will be near static with high resolution. So far the fixes have been proven to be effective and now we are looking at the efficacy and efficiency on game play and video card demand - stay tuned![/LIST] [IMG]http://www.themonkeysfist.ca/maps/forgot2.jpg[/IMG]

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]
Updated 2009-02-26 at 14:01 by PARAMEDIC.CA
Views: 77213 | Comments: 30

Main  |  Next Entry »

Comments
Total Comments: 30
  1. Old Comment
    tataaam
    !!!
    3===O~
    Posted 2009-02-18 at 20:35 by kingkoolkoobyak kingkoolkoobyak is offline
  2. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McLuv View Comment
    Wow, Pure win. Is this the second CF map Fuzzhead has hinted at?
    ...perhaps...
  3. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [R-DEV]PARAMEDIC.CA View Comment
    ...perhaps...
    I see your post is blushing (it's pink), so obviously we can tell if you try to deceive us
  4. Old Comment
    Is this the only map with this size ? How is it compared with Kashan Desert ? Wich terrian generator have you (or has [R-DEV] Katarn) used ?
  5. Old Comment
    Ambulance shotgun

On insurgency, I looks like this will all be about IEDs and epic convoys. win get!
  6. Old Comment
    Do want?
  7. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Teek View Comment
    On insurgency, I looks like this will all be about IEDs and epic convoys. win get!
    perhaps bigger items?
  8. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by =Romagnolo= View Comment
    Is this the only map with this size ? How is it compared with Kashan Desert ? Wich terrian generator have you (or has [R-DEV] Katarn) used ?
    Satellite images of some areas, the exact locations I have forgotten over the course of a year. I believe the river is the Yosimete Park riverbed and the mountainous region is somewhere in Afghanistan.
  9. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Katarn View Comment
    Satellite images of some areas, the exact locations I have forgotten over the course of a year. I believe the river is the Yosimete Park riverbed and the mountainous region is somewhere in Afghanistan.
    I think your right (its been so long ago now). Katarn delicately spliced the afghan satellite image into the canyon image and.... tada.

That being said, there were many hours spent tweaking the heightmap to look more natural as the natural erosion lines dont doesnt turn out so well when converting to a BF2 scale 4.
  10. Old Comment
    Wow.....just wow

Tags
map