project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Developer Blogs > Arab
12 Jul 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Rate this Entry
New Kit, Vehicle, Weapons Minimap Icons by CAS_ual_TY
Posted in: Graphics
Posted 2023-09-09 at 05:42 by Arab

As part of the v1.7.5 update is the new 32x32 icons by CAS_ual_TY.

Created in 2017, these icons significantly improve on our existing minimap and menu icons which were created with vanilla BF2's 16x16 art style in mind.

All Air, Land, Sea, Stationaries and Kit (Including squad) icons has been revamped and changed with a 32x32 canvas size in mind - resulting in a higher resolution and optimized spacing on the map - which makes differentiating between vehicles easier.

Creator: CAS_ual_TY
Implemented with edits and additions by: [R-DEV]Arab

From https://www.realitymod.com/forum/sho....php?t=145852:
Quote:
Main Changes:
  • 3 different shitbox icons: Shitboxes now have their own icon type. Its easy to tell the difference from "real" APCs now. Shitboxes with gunner exposed also have their own icon.
  • 3 different APC icons: Depending in strength/armor of the APC. As an example, BTR-60PB, BTR-80 and BTR-80A/BMP-2 (no ATGM) all have different icons.
  • 3 different IFV icons: Another example; BMP-1, BMP-2, BMP-3 all have different icons now with the icons looking similar enough to immediately see the thread of an IFV with ATGM.
  • 3 different Tank icons: Old/weak tank; Main MBT; Main MBT with ATGM.
  • 4 different logi icons: 1 crate, 2 crates, 1 crate + armored, 2 crates + armored; all icons sharing the same style once again - its easy to tell a logi on the map.
  • 6 different jeep icons: depending on wether or not they are a "cabrio", have a roof, or real AMRAP protection (soon!); and if they are armed or not. Another 7th icon just for the ammo techie.
  • Helicopter distinction between CAS and trans: CAS helis now have 2 rotors, trans helis have 4 o 6.
  • 3 different reconnaissance vehicle icons: Panther is not used as trans jeep anymore! Pubs will never ask for a ride in a scorpion anymore!
  • And the most important part: Main team support vehicles all share the same icon base. Those vehicle types are Shitboxes, APCs, AAVs and ATMs (AAV and ATM only heavy version). With the transportation vehicles (APC and Shitbox) having an additional horizontal line at the back to signal transport capability.

This might be a little confusing at first, but after 1h of using these you get used to them quite quickly! A little credit to [R-DEV]Mr.VdHeide for giving me ideas for some icons!

-[R-DEV]Arab out!
Updated 2023-09-25 at 09:33 by Arab
Views: 67286 | Comments: 17

« Previous Entry  |  Main  |  Next Entry »

Comments
Total Comments: 17
  1. Old Comment
    I am sorry to have to say that, but I also think the icons are too similar to each other. Keep it small and simple. One should be able to identify the class within a glimpse.
  2. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by captainfuture View Comment
    I am sorry to have to say that, but I also think the icons are too similar to each other. Keep it small and simple. One should be able to identify the class within a glimpse.
    Completely agree

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hans_Strudel View Comment
    Too many icons for same vehicle class. People don't usually use icon on minimap to identify specific vehicle - there is asset legend for that. Would be great to use only one icon for each vehicle class as it is right now.
    Will try to simplify it.

The light, medium and heavy icons would need to use it's own shape as shown on page 1 - much like the original PR icons and kits icon like the rifleman kit may need to be redone.
  3. Old Comment
    How about the national flags?
  4. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avatok View Comment
    My own opinion that some can be used and some need to stay as old one or be reworked:

- Cas jets, trans heli and AA looks good and fresh from gifs.
    - APC\IFV definitely lost recognition even after rework, in a fight they can be easily misinform what you got on your back.
    - On trans track that darkblue\black side where inf sitting way more readable than using same color as truck.
    - When sticking multiple trucks in a row new trucks looks like minecraft cart and older more informative in this situation.
    - New tow looks like trombone and lost it real shape.
    - What is this small square on tank turret? M48 Patton lens or what is it ?

- This is balloon fighter or what is that on sides? For sure this is not the rocket pods, btw chopper itself looks good.
    - All kits icons looks to thick. Like lat almost lost trigger. What the hell happened to the AR icon that transformed QBZ-95 into some blaster from bf2?
    ?
    - Losing wheels on new AT-gun icon looks weird. (Or I'm blind and they are present but fully black and hardly recognizable on dark maps. Add like blue dot inside?)

Looking on vehicle spawn older icons looks more unique. Newer is way soft-round shaped on the angles. Older ones uses black color to create more visible angle on any background.
    Have fixed most issues mentioned here.
  5. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KianaKaslana View Comment
    How about the national flags?
    They have already been updated way back using the .svg textures converted to .png
  6. Old Comment
    late to the party but I'm experimenting with doing 32x32 tools in Minecraft when using a 16x16 Vanilla or like texture pack, and honestly this is more proof of how having (even if only some) higher res stuff is really good.

You can see very well what is going on here, and while before it worked, it was not as good.
  7. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gerfand View Comment
    late to the party but I'm experimenting with doing 32x32 tools in Minecraft when using a 16x16 Vanilla or like texture pack, and honestly this is more proof of how having (even if only some) higher res stuff is really good.

You can see very well what is going on here, and while before it worked, it was not as good.
    Yeah - more detailed and less constraints but limitations can be a good thing - causes you to find workarounds, be creative and make the best of things.