project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Developer Blogs > Rhino
09 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Rate this Entry
Advances in 3DsMax LMing with Overgrowth
Posted in: Mapping
Posted 2009-02-26 at 02:35 by [R-DEV]Rhino

Lightmapping maps in 3DsMax has always had its positive and negative sides, but just a few mins ago I've managed to eliminate one of thous negative points which was Lightmapping with overgrowth. In the past there was no known way of getting Overgrowth into 3DsMax, and there was also no known easy way of getting even static placed trees and bushes to cast proper LMs from there leaves etc.

How ever I've now managed to overcome both of thous issues with some neat tricks and scripts to get the result we want.

[CENTER][IMG]http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/8237/71821984.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

As seen in this pic, I've highlighted in red what I've now managed to pull off, shadows casting in the correct way, over the entire type of tree required, thou highlighted in yellow is what it was before. Most of you wont realize this but if you look closely at some buildings trees are casting shadows on in Muttrah and Fallujah, you may notice that the leafs are casting a very solid shadow like shown above in yellow, thou this will now fix that.

Now to some one who knows 3DsMax this may not seem that complicated but the issues are with firstly getting the overgrowth into max, and then after that, getting them the correct UVs etc.

Anyways I wont bore you guys with to much technical detail, but for thous who are interested in this I will get a tut/info up on how to do this later :)

Main thing is, our maps being LMed in 3DsMax will look better and more maps will have the proportional to be LMed in max where in the past was not a option since there was too much Overgrowth casting shadows onto objects.

Cheers :)

EDIT: and a few mins later after a lot of tinkering about:

[CENTER][IMG]http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/5987/49356407.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Updated 2009-02-26 at 04:12 by [R-DEV]Rhino
Views: 10310 | Comments: 6

Main  |  Next Entry »

Comments
Total Comments: 6
  1. Old Comment
    Neat definitely curious about how you got it to work.
  2. Old Comment
    That blue terrain reminds me of the Smurfs.

At some point I tried to learn modelling in Blender, but I failed on advanced tuts and got disappointed. Then I tried the bf2editor, which was a bit similar to the NWN2 Toolset. I had major problems with snapping the roads to ground, overgrowth and some interface issues.

Damn, I can only admire your and other DEVs patience.
  3. Old Comment
    very cool, i was kind of waiting for this so i can try it out on my map for the gerries. Good work rhino!
  4. Old Comment
    odd thing at the moment is that when its baking the LMs onto a texture it seems to screw up... If I manually bake it more or less the same way just a more manual way thou, its fine thou the lighting isn't 100% correct...

5. Old Comment
    and I tought that you were so useless...

:P
  6. Old Comment
    I first thought something was wrong with it since all the shadows pointed in different directions... then I noticed you were using an omni light in the center of the picture...