project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Developer Blogs > AncientMan
13 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Rate this Entry
Auto Deploy
Posted in: Graphics
Posted 2009-03-07 at 10:07 by [R-DEV]AncientMan

So, as mentioned and shown in the Dev Journal, I've managed to make an auto deploy feature. It only took 40 hours as well! (That is a pretty accurate figure, it took forever to get working right...).

To keep things clean in the Dev Journal post, I'm going to go into some more detail here.

What this feature does, is select the server, grabs the server name, filters only that server, then refreshes the list every 5 seconds. It then selects the server, grabs the player data, then feeds that into a simple check: If current players < max players, join server, else, repeat.

That's it in it's simplest form, it's much more complex really, but yeah, that's the simple explanation .

So, since it's using the server name as a filter, there's a main limit. The server name cannot contain really messed up characters (like the GibThis server), and cannot be too long (like the servers that put lots of spaces in and then say "Not this server and that server". If it does contain that sort of stuff, it will put out an error message and stop you from using the feature. So, for the server admins who want the feature to work, your going to have to fix up your server name .

Also, there are some times when it refreshes the server but someone else gets in a millisecond before the function tries to join you. There's not much I can really do about it, but you'll just have to try again I guess However, it's pretty much as best as you can expect from the BF2 engine, so deal with it .

Anyway, so I'm sure there'll be some questions about this, so post them below and I'll try to answer them (if I feel like it ).
Views: 13833 | Comments: 9

« Previous Entry  |  Main  |  Next Entry »

Comments
Total Comments: 9
  1. Old Comment
    Servers like Tactical Gamer limit the player count to 62/64 for supporting members, I guess it will not be compatible with the new Auto Deploy?
  2. Old Comment
    You so didn't watch the video . I said a whole thing about that .
  3. Old Comment
    Yea I didn't, I don't have streaming ability on this shitty mobile internet
  4. Old Comment
    I forgive you then
  5. Old Comment
    does this mean we may see the list of servers updating every few seconds as well?

its quite annoying that it lists really out-of-date player numbers and maps after you leave it for a while.
  6. Old Comment
    What would happen if more than 1 person is trying this at once? Ex: 2 players select it at the same time. Who would join and would the other crash or something the like?

EDIT: I just read the post =(
  7. Old Comment
    5 seconds sounds a bit long to me. Perhaps make that the default but let players set it manually like the player limit? Are there any negative effects from having it update more frequently?
    Updated 2009-03-07 at 20:38 by Jordanb716
  8. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jordanb716 View Comment
    5 seconds sounds a bit long to me. Perhaps make that the default but let players set it manually like the player limit? Are there any negative effects from having it update more frequently?
    well il anser for ancient, excuse me if im wrong but if you update it that it will refresh every 1 or half a second it might crash your game!, im not sure about this tho
    but thats what I expect if its faster than 5 seconds refresh
  9. Old Comment
    sorry but how i can donwload the game please send a pm thanks