project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Developer Blogs > AncientMan
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Rate this Entry
News Ticker
Posted in: Coding
Posted 2009-08-01 at 12:12 by [R-DEV]AncientMan

Haven't written a blog entry for a while, so I might write one for a little something that I've been working on for the last day or so. Nothing too exciting, probably more boring , but it's just a little insight into the backend of things in the PR Dev world.

I'm sure everyone knows of the new news ticker in the PR main menu that was introduced in 0.86. Due to the flash engine in BF2, certain things don't work, so workarounds have to be done in order to get things working. This basically means for the news ticker, instead of loading dynamic text for the news ticker, it works by loading images from a website. The images are of text, so it basically looks the same . For the linked websites for each news item, since we can't update the menu every time we want to update the news ticker, the links go to a static redirect website, which we dynamically change to send you to the appropriate link.

Now, the problem with using this method, is updating the news ticker would be a fairly heavy task. You would have to write up a message in Photoshop or whatever, save it, upload it, then edit the redirect page, save it, upload it. Then do that multiple times for the 5 different news ticker items. Not really that great, more of a chore updating the news ticker, leaving it go unused and ending up with no one reading it .

The solution is some sort of web form that allows any Dev easily update the ticker in a matter of seconds. So, through the wonders of PHP and JavaScript, you end up with something like this:

Anyway, I really like how it has turned out. It's turned a 5-10 minute task into a 20 second task, so hopefully we'll end up with a constant stream of dynamic info going straight into the main menu, which means more advertising of news, events, competitions, whatever .
Views: 13413 | Comments: 12

« Previous Entry  |  Main  |  Next Entry »

Comments
Total Comments: 12
  1. Old Comment
    Sweet, i like how they have colors now to catch my eye a little better
  2. Old Comment
    makes it look very professional ingame, well done
  3. Old Comment
    sweet! (: I like to say that this is a very good work, how much none sleeping nights?
  4. Old Comment
    this looks really intuitive to use. well done indeed.
  5. Old Comment
    Seems like very nice tool

BTW. I think you should move the news ticker from the bottom of the menu to the top.
  6. Old Comment
    hats off Anchientman! and btw its not the back end, its the front end. Its the first thing you use before the game starts. and therefor worth the time and effort, which you have been doing splendidly, keep up the good work mate.
  7. Old Comment
    Psyk - It's the back-end as that is the part that is done behind the scenes, only the DEVs use/have access to it.

Nice work though, looks intuitive.
  8. Old Comment
    Heh, nice looking work
  9. Old Comment
    Did you have to make the script yourself, or was someone already offering it as freeware, and if so, I want to use it!
  10. Old Comment
    I like it.

Tags