project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR Tech Archives
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR Tech Archives Archived threads - locked for searching

Old 2008-07-21, 11:52   #1
[DVB] Avalon.ca

Default Odd VOIP behaviour

hey folks i have tried to do a search on this and could not find a suitable thread. when i join game, windows XP will automaiticly mute my Mic, and then it takes about 5 mins for (lack of a better term) VOIP to warm up and work. what i mean is, i join a squad, i cannot transmit, nor hear anyone. and then 5 to 10 mins latter voip is magicaly working.

dose anyone have any idea why this is happening. i just installed a new fire wall on my PC but i do not understand if its a firewall issue, why i do not recive any promtes or have any record about what program is trying to gain accesss to the internet, let alone block for 5 to 10 mins then starts working.
Old 2008-07-21, 12:38   #2
thepalerider

Thumbs up Re: Odd VOIP behaviour

What firewall did you install? I use AVG and it has a "game mode" that sounds good but what it does is STOP interruptions by preventing those windows seeking permission from opening at all, not by allowing all traffic. No permission = no traffic = disconnected
Leave game mode off in till you 100% sure all your permissions are good.
Set your firewall to log the rules you want to check.
Perhaps your firewall has a rule to "ask" but "allow" if no answer?
In could explain the wait (block voip while asking permission)
Check your defaults

Make sure your firewall has permission for:

PBSETUP.EXE
(search for your location)

PNKBSTRA.EXE
path:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64\PNKBSTRA.EXE

PnkBstrB.exe
path:
"C:\Users\"your user name here"\AppData\Roaming\PnkBstrB.exe"

I copied the PnkBstrB.exe name and location from the pbsvc "test'. The test results are behind the results window that pops up after the test. Use the copy button and save it to a text file for future reference.

Hope it helps
Last edited by thepalerider; 2008-07-21 at 12:49..
Old 2008-07-21, 13:00   #3
Dunehunter
Retired Moderator
Supporting Member

Default Re: Odd VOIP behaviour

In my case, VOIP works ok when I start, but cuts out suddenly after a while. Vista 64 bit and an Xfi Xtreme Gamer soundcard.

[R-MOD]Jigsaw] I am drunk. I decided to come home early because I can''t realy seea nyithng. I hthknk i madea bad choicce.
Old 2008-07-23, 21:06   #4
fubar++
Default Re: Odd VOIP behaviour

Go to Control Panel / Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices / Anvanced Volume Control / Options / Properties / Playback. Mute and set Microphone to zero level. Just to make it sure do same for everything else you don't need (leave Wave as it is). To make it even more sure switch Playback to Recording and select Microphone. Set everything else but Microphone to zero level.

HTH

Tags
behaviour, odd, voip