project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > News / Announcements > PR Highlights > PR Dev Journal Archives > 2008
25 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-28, 02:46   #1
OkitaMakoto
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default [Map] Ramiel

Ramiel

Ramiel
1024x2
US Army vs Insurgents
Insurgency/Skirmish gamemodes

Hey guys and gals,
With the recent information on the release of .8 to the public I figured it was time to give a little info on Ramiel, one of the many new maps in this release. Project Reality's .8 release really shines when it comes to new and exciting maps, so I'm truly honored to be releasing Ramiel along with amazing works of art like Korengal, Muttrah 2.0, and Op. Barracuda.

Ramiel was initiated on a total whim with no intent on its being in PR. It was nearing the end of my 2006-2007 school year and class work was becoming light. To combat the boredom I took up what would be my first mapping project, hoping to eventually find a server willing to give me at least a day's play time on my new urban map. I began making a map that would 'strangely' resemble war torn Mogadishu and the events portrayed in the book/movie Black Hawk Down[sorry, no fastropes]. The task was daunting, mainly due to it being my first map and the BF editor's[and my own] finer points: crashes 7 times a day, corrupt files, losing hours of work, making the noobiest of noob mistakes[many of which I'm sure are still in the .8 version] the list goes on.

Here are some lulzy old WIP pics from almost a year ago:

But, slowly but surely, the map began to take shape. Being my first map, I was in constant need of help. IronTaxi, Fuzzhead, Rhino, Dr Rank, and Coderedfox all offered countless suggestions, fixes, tweaks, points of advice, statics, words of wisdom, you name it. From the very beginning, my first attempt at a map was lucky enough to get a good deal of help from some of the most skilled people around. It was this extraordinary amount of help that made it even remotely possible. Without their help, Ramiel would still look absolutely ridiculous and would be nowhere near the quality a map that PR has come to be known for.

But enough of the cheesy backstory... Here's the final Minimap:

And a few other screens

Ramiel features the newly included US Army searching for weapons caches inside a large “2 part” city. The eastern side of the city is a war torn, trash filled, grass overgrown, pot holed nightmare of a place to find your humvee breaking down. There are countless alleyways and corners perfect for setting up an IED/RPG ambush. In a somewhat stark contrast to the east, the newer western side of the city is much more friendly to US Army vehicles [2 Strykers are on a delayed spawn at the Airport, one Black Hawk, one AH-6, and an MH-6], with wide streets, less roadblocks, an open market place, and less noticeable damage to the streets than in the east.

The US Army infantry will need to make good use of transportation helicopters and humvees/Strykers support as they move through the city. From the very beginning I was opposed to tanks and APC's on this map, so it really rewards the infantry squads that stick together and tactically make their way throughout the city hunting weapons caches.

On the Insurgent side, you will have a number of weapons at the main base, a handful of technicals, a small number of suicide cars, and the like. Basically all you need to kill the infidels

So, in closing, I hope you enjoy my first of hopefully many more PR maps to come, go easy the still-nooby-mapper, and have fun! :P
Last edited by OkitaMakoto; 2008-08-28 at 02:57..
Old 2008-08-28, 02:46   #2
OkitaMakoto
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: [MAP] Ramiel

p.s. First Post, yay
Old 2008-08-28, 02:48   #3
ReaperMAC

Okita this is the best map ever, nothing is anywhere near as good and no okita did not edit this post because it said "2nd post"
Old 2008-08-28, 02:48   #4
Eddiereyes909
Retired Forum Moderator

Absoultly wonderful. This map is different in almost every way to other PR maps. Cant wait until I play it with a full server
Old 2008-08-28, 02:49   #5
ReadMenace

AWESOME! <3 YOU!

-REad
Old 2008-08-28, 02:49   #6
Scot
Supporting Member

3rd yay!! Epic map mate.

Old 2008-08-28, 02:49   #7
Scot
Supporting Member

Oh goddam ninjad twice.

Old 2008-08-28, 02:50   #8
Clypp

And here is the WIP (post 0.8 release) topographical minimap.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ielsmall-1.png
Old 2008-08-28, 02:51   #9
Scot
Supporting Member

Where??

Old 2008-08-28, 03:11   #10
Fluffywuffy

Nice. And it has WHEEL-----BARRELS!!
Closed Thread

Tags