project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > OverClocking & Networking
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
OverClocking & Networking Anything related to Overclocking & Networking here

Old 2011-03-12, 07:53   #1
Bringerof_D
Supporting Member

Default Internet cuts out every few minutes

Hey guys, For some reason my internet has been cutting out very frequently then fixing within 30 or so seconds, then on occasion it'll stay out for 5 minutes or so. not sure if its regular. However the connection is fine and solid while i game and no one else connected to the same router are having any problems at all, seems to be just me. A geek friend of mine has checked all my computer's settings and have found nothing wrong with them. any idea what this might be? This only happens during regular internet usage (ie msn and regular browsing)

Note the connection worked fine up until several months ago. No changes have been made except for a new router, however said router was purchased long after the problem began.

Information in the hands of a critical thinker is invaluable, information alone is simply dangerous.
Last edited by Bringerof_D; 2011-03-13 at 04:31..
Old 2011-03-12, 18:33   #2
SnipingCoward
Default Re: Internet cuts out every few minutes

Are you using WLAN?
Are you using a router, which?

This could be your DHCP lease time being set really low, check your router settings.

Maybe it is a driver issue. Get the latest from your manufacturer.

I also had a similar issue where the only solution was to get another networking card. Some motherboards already have 2 ethernet ports (which often are using different chipsets) try with plugging in the cable to the other one.

Another possibility is that your router is set to something like internet connection on demand (this usually is a bad practice when using a flatrate). It will connect to the internet when a client requires it and disconnect if it is not in use (check your router's internet connection settings).
SnipingCoward is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 23:04   #3
Bringerof_D
Supporting Member

thanks.

i'm using a wired connection to the router. And the DHCP lease time was set to some ridiculously high number of minutes to make sure that that wasn't the problem.

i'll see if the driver fixes it. and i dont think i have two ethernet ports.

Edit: All my drivers are up to date and same with firmware of the router. I forgot to mention ( will be adding to op) that the connection was working fine up until a few months ago. same setup, no changes known between working and the start of the intermittent loss of connection.

could it be as simple as a damaged cable? friend of mine suggested that but since it works fine while i game it doesn't seem to make sense.

Information in the hands of a critical thinker is invaluable, information alone is simply dangerous.
Last edited by Bringerof_D; 2011-03-13 at 04:32..
Old 2011-03-13, 07:06   #4
Atkinson

I once had similar problems and the reason was faulty network adapter card. So it might be that your mobo's NIC is giving up. It does happen. Try to loan some old nic from your buddies to test if that fixes the problem.
But try another cable as well...
Atkinson is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
cuts, internet, minutes