project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2015-12-12, 09:51   #1
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Arrow [Texture] LAW 66

This topic is for TheLordHighExecutioner to post his questions and progress on re-texturing the M72 LAW into a L1A3B1 "LAW 66", aka "Rocket 66mm", which was the British version of the M72 used during the Falklands War and other conflicts and is basically the same although its painted a lighter green (at least compared to our current texture) and has a few different markings on it:

Spoiler for Normal M72 LAW:

Its also worth noting that our standard M72 could do with a little bit of an update too since it dose not have any markings on it currently and could do with things like the instructions on the side at the very least

Spoiler for Tasking Files, Tools, Refs & Info:
Normally I do this part over Private Message but doing this over the community forums so others can learn from it

Ingame Files
Firstly here are the ingame files for the M72 LAW which you will need in order to view your textures on the 3D Model. Will give more information on that later. Extract these into a folder you wish to work in on your PC, although ideally you will want to set up a "PR_EDIT" which in that case, you won't need to download these files but that's a lot of work for not much gain but if you plan on doing future projects for PR, it might be worth it.
Ingame Files Download: http://realitymodfiles.com/rhino/weapons/idflat_m72.zip

Uncompressed Textures
Here are the Uncompressed Textures for you to work with. They are however only flattened .tga and .png images but since your using GIMP you wouldn't be able to use the layers if we had them.
Uncompressed Textures Download: http://realitymodfiles.com/rhino/wea...s_12-12-15.zip

GIMP DDS Plugin
Since you use GIMP you will need the DDS plugins for it so you can save your textures so they are workable in game. I belive these are the correct tools but I don't use GIMP so if anyone knows of better ones, please post below.
GIMP DDS Plugin Download: DDS | GIMP Plugin Registry

Saving Your Textures
I don't use GIMP so I'm not entirely sure on the process but to save your textures, you will first need to put the "spec.tga" image in your Diffuse (aka Colour / _c) Textures Alpha channel and then save the texture as a DXT5 DDS Image with No Mips (if you can't do no-mips, don't worry its just an optimization thing) over the "1p_idflat_m72_c.dds" in the ingame files texture folder. Don't worry about the Normal textures or 3rd person textures for now, we will sort them out when your textures are final and when they are, send them to me as uncompressed .tga files

BFMeshView
This is an awesome simple tool you can use to view any BF2 Mesh with textures, as well as the Meshes UVs and many other things
Simply load up the "idflat_m72.bundledmesh" file that is included in the ingame files in the "Mesh" folder with BFMeshView and you should see the model, although its unlikely the textures will work at first. To be able to view the Textures go to Options > Preferences and then in the window that pops up hit the Add button and browse to the ingame file's "*\idflat_m72\textures\" folder and add it, and you should now see the textures n the model. If not, post below. To view the UVs go to Tools > UV Editor and you will see the UVs for the mesh, and any UVs you select on the UV you will also be able to see on the verts selected on the model
BFMeshView Download: BfMeshView

Reference Images
I haven't got that many refs for you on this but the ones I do have are in the .zip below and if you need more just search around on google or ask below
Refs Download: http://realitymodfiles.com/rhino/ref...s_12-12-15.zip

I think that covers everything. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask here as we are all more than happy to help here and keep us updated with progress here for feedback etc

Cheers and good luck!

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-14, 04:02   #2
H.sta
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Texture] LAW 66

I think it is worth taking a look at the whole M72 family

It has had several new additions in the latest years, some specialized ammo as well.

I will come back with more

H.sta is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-14, 10:13   #3
Zeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]H.sta View Post
I think it is worth taking a look at the whole M72 family

It has had several new additions in the latest years, some specialized ammo as well.

I will come back with more
The latest Norwegian versions uses a bigger explosive charge resulting in a better Anti personell capability btw, and stronger penetration, range is also longer, dont have the source, just what we were told during training.
Zeno is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-14, 14:23   #4
TheLordHighExecutioner

Hey, thanks for making this topic for me. I thought I had replied, but I guess I didn't.

I won't be able to start texturing until after finals are over, so not before the 20th. I hope that won't be a problem. I'll try to post my progress as I go.
TheLordHighExecutioner is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-14, 14:34   #5
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Nope that's cool, gl with them

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
law, texture