project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
14 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 2024-01-01, 08:43   #1
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member
Default Old PC on PR Q9550 HD6870

I have been updating an old PC to bequith to a family member and when I do this I enjoy seeing what PR runs like.

I bought a Core 2 Quad (Q9550) to replace the dual core E8500 for €20, figuring that although PR is single core with mumble on the second a four core would help with all the other windows stuff in the background.

The PC has only 4GB of DDR2 ram which although it runs OK it indicates many faults per second which is an indication that RAM is using page file a lot, unfortunately to find 2x4GB DDR2 is nearly impossible. I do have a spare mobo that can take DDR2 AND 3 so if it proves necessary I can do that.

I bought a really cheap Crucial BX500GB SSD (€35) as it seems the old HD was ill as it was so slow, Crucial let me use a program to clone the drive which worked.

The GPU is a Radeon HD6870 with 1GB of VRAM.

So far I have only been on a fairly empty COOP server with renderer.drawfps 1 showing from 150 to 30fps with no lag, I will go on fuller and eventually deployment/multiplayer servers to test. But so far so good with an updated €60 PC.

PLODDITHANLEY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-04, 13:01   #2
[R-COM]PvtNewb
Support Technician
PR Server License Moderator

Default Re: Old PC on PR Q9550 HD6870

If you want to squeeze more performance out of the Q9550, try turning off meltdown & spectre workaround with the InSpectre tool https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm. (Note: pls don't do this if it's a work PC)

PvtNewb is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-12, 07:16   #3
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

The CPU is doing fine, the biggest problem seems to be 4GB of ram, I can't find 2x4gb sticks without spending way too much. (DDR2)

PLODDITHANLEY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-13, 10:07   #4
[R-COM]PvtNewb
Support Technician
PR Server License Moderator

DDR2 is quite expensive right now since it's no longer being manufactured, that's just how it is after the platform is EoL.

PvtNewb is offline Reply With Quote