project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
09 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 2012-08-12, 19:57   #1
paul161616
Supporting Member

Default First Custom Build

hello all. i recently got myself a job and am making enough where i could most likely put about $100-$200 away per month (CAD).
i am at the point where i can barely play modern pc games without all low settings, and since my pc is factory from 2007 i feel its time for an upgrade.
so my questions are how much would a nice gaming computer cost me altogether. and based on the amount of money i can save up, would it be better off to wait until i have the money (would the stuff you guys suggest now be out dated by the time i can afford it).
and also if possible some specific suggestions on what to buy eg: amount of ram, processor etc,.
keep in mind ive never built my own pc, but do have a basic knowledge of computer components and their specs.
paul161616 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 20:03   #2
Cossack
Supporting Member

Default Re: First Custom Build

Around 1000 USD, maybe less. Its already hard to put system at 600 because you sacrifice so much, that you feel improvement and changes for short time period already buying low end stuff.

Cossack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 21:23   #3
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

You might want to watch some videos by this guy.

He builds gaming PCs in various cost categories (500 bucks, 750 bucks, 1000 bucks). He first presents each component with reasoning why he chose it, and less importantly also gives you a tut on how to build the pc .

PS: You might want to check out the Windows 8 customer preview, and probably buy a spare copy of Win7 while you still can .

lucky.BOY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 22:20   #4
Cossack
Supporting Member

Meh, every second Windows is meh. Windows 2000 - awesome, Milenium - shit, XP - awesome, Vista - shit, Seven - awesome, so with Windows Eight how it will be then?

Old 2012-08-13, 00:14   #5
Hurtz

You'd probobly get away with $1000 CAD but you would have to buy lower end processor and video card. You need about $1500 - $2000 to build a good rig. Get on NCIX.ca and check out some of the prebuild systems on there.

Forget about windows 8 as was already mentioned.
Hurtz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-13, 02:31   #6
paul161616
Supporting Member

thanks alot for the help so far guys, il check out those videos and that website, and im not going to sacrifice lower end components for price, il just wait until i have enough. i want a good pc that will last me a while
Old 2012-08-13, 03:10   #7
SnipeHunt
Supporting Member

When I built my last one I bought it piece by piece when things went on sale. Took me about 6 months to get everything, but I saved 300$ or more.

Best line yet...
Me: "Hey APC, Can I get a ride to squad 6?"
Unknown: "This APC ain't no Taxi!"
SnipeHunt is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-13, 20:05   #8
paul161616
Supporting Member

So im deciding my budget will be around 1500. Im curious what cpu you guys would suggest for my price range. And what type of case should i get if i just want a basic one that will fit everything? Also is it possible to get a modern sound card with xfi 64mb? More questions to come probably haha thanks for the input
Old 2012-08-13, 21:02   #9
Pedz
Supporting Member

Id suggest getting an Intel i5-3570k processor. It does more than necessary .
Also about the soundcard... It is totally unneccessary (unless you need extra professional ports) to have external soundcards nowadays, it doesn't burden processors much at all (if any, and either way the extra effort in sending the data to the soundcard might remove any benefit..).

As for the case, its generally personal preference in the design. Most cases nowadays have enough fan ports and generally all in the right places. So find a case you want, but make sure its ATX size and can fit full size GPU's. I personally have the NZXT Phantom, fully loaded with fans and its great. The front and top may be made of plastic, but it was a lot cheaper than any overpriced thin metal counterparts. (The plastic is actually very high quality and quite thick, and doesn't look cheap). Also has a built in fan controller which is handy when I want the PC to be silent.

Pedz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-13, 22:20   #10
Cossack
Supporting Member

Well, if have very good headset or speakers and you want sound nice and hear every single thing, then soundcard is must, because decent audio is as far I know on ASUS ROG boards (not all of them) and Gigabyte G1 boards.

About CPU, yeah, i5-3570k does job just fine.

About cases, pick one which appeals you, but first, very important - does it have enough room, does it have cable management options (like routing behind them). That is why I like Corsair and Fractal Design. Very nice cases. Got few systems to build on them and just badass. Of course NZXT and Cooler Master is nice (Silverstone as well), but yeah, those two things are most important. About size ATX form factor case is fine to stuff everything.

Tags
build, custom