project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Infantry
28 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2015-11-21, 19:49   #1
Wing Walker
Default Removing the map Icons

Has removing icons on the map ever been experimented with?

Would it give a good balance of teamwork, immersion, and game play to remove the dots on the map? It seems it would feel more natural and realistic.

IRL, you would not just know who is where at any given time, but you would have general knowledge of the area.

I would support at least being able to see your squad leader, or squad mates. Or the medic icon popping up on the map when you request one.

When I think about the possibilities, it would really focus your world down on communicating with your squad, and the SL coordinating with other SL's more on comms. Also, it would slow the world down a bit with imperfect map navigation.

I kind of like the idea of the "Fog of War" it would give, and the communication that would have to take place. Make things less predictable.
Wing Walker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-22, 11:46   #2
viirusiiseli
Banned
Default Re: Removing the map Icons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Walker View Post
Has removing icons on the map ever been experimented with?

Would it give a good balance of teamwork, immersion, and game play to remove the dots on the map? It seems it would feel more natural and realistic.

IRL, you would not just know who is where at any given time, but you would have general knowledge of the area.

I would support at least being able to see your squad leader, or squad mates. Or the medic icon popping up on the map when you request one.

When I think about the possibilities, it would really focus your world down on communicating with your squad, and the SL coordinating with other SL's more on comms. Also, it would slow the world down a bit with imperfect map navigation.

I kind of like the idea of the "Fog of War" it would give, and the communication that would have to take place. Make things less predictable.

This would lead to massive teamkills.
viirusiiseli is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-28, 02:56   #3
a3dboy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by viirusiiseli View Post
This would lead to massive teamkills.
People said same things about lack of nametags for 65+ players. Somehow players adapted and there is no massive teamkills.

I think that removing Smurfs from map is a good way to force people think and analyze more. In order to make it "newbie friendly" the map would show only SLs positions with huge numbers as it is now. Squad members dots would be removed though. But such change requires intense testing on the Dev side and I am not sure whether Devs haven't come out with such feature before...

But I understand that vocal minority here on the forums doesn't want any changes because that would put them in the boots of scrubs as they would have to adapt to new mechanics. Really selfish of you.
a3dboy1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-28, 12:21   #4
viirusiiseli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by a3dboy1 View Post
People said same things about lack of nametags for 65+ players. Somehow players adapted and there is no massive teamkills.
Yeah nah, the teamkills that used to not happen on close range are a normal occurrence.

Someone comes around the corner, they don't see the nametag and shoot you. It happens all the time so...
Old 2015-11-24, 14:52   #5
TheAndrew1987

it would be hell on earth, i think we just have to ignore this unrealistic feature for the enjoyment of the game
TheAndrew1987 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-24, 19:16   #6
Wing Walker

That is the kind of things they said back when we talked about them removing the minimap in the corner of the screen.
Old 2015-11-24, 20:47   #7
viirusiiseli
Banned

Quote:
That is the kind of things they said back when we talked about them removing the minimap in the corner of the screen.
Without minimap you can still check where friendlies are, if you remove map markers for friendlies, you can not.
Old 2015-11-24, 21:01   #8
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

Quote:
Great comparison...

sweedensniiperr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-25, 07:06   #9
solidfire93

i like the idea but i dont know what the effects are going to be on Friendly fire and TK's

idk how IRL this thing works !
solidfire93 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-26, 17:09   #10
Wing Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidfire93 View Post
i like the idea but i dont know what the effects are going to be on Friendly fire and TK's
I'm not sure people always check their map now, when they see an "enemy", we're lucky if people look at what they are wearing before they shoot.

I don't really think the change would be as dramatic as some think. People thought the world would end with some changes that have been made in PR.

Tags
icons, map, removing, romoving