project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
23 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2009-10-03, 12:46   #1
jbgeezer
Default Armour piercing that disables vehicles

Hey

Ive searched the AAS thread but couldnt find anything.

Currently (0.86) when you fire AP rounds from an APC aganist a light vehicle, (such as a humvee) it doesnt take many shots before you have blown it up.

This is what I am suggesting: that when you fire armour-piercing against a light-vehicle you will make it unable to move (blown the engine block appart). If you want to blow it up, you have to use HE rounds. I would like this to happen especially for APC rounds, but also maybe for tank rounds. So if you want to blow a light vehicle appart you have to use the HEAT round. I dont know if it should also work like this for tanks, APCs, saying that AP rounds only disables the vehicle. The difference however, between a tank and APC and a light vehicle, is that those vehicle carry alot of high explosive ammonition in it.

Also a question: currently, can you blow an APC appart by using a HEAT round? I havent tested for myself yet
jbgeezer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 14:01   #2
Ccharge
Default Re: Armour piercing that disables vehicles

tell you the truth AP rounds are made to destroy a vehicle. It uses a massive amount of force to push its way through the armour and destroy anything in its way, that includes ammunition. Often enough of a tank is hit badly enough that it can cause the entire tank to brew up.
Ccharge is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 14:40   #3
Nimise

I fail to see the point of this suggestion. What would you gain by making a tank/apc shoot a light vehicle twice...
Nimise is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 14:55   #4
arjan

I think the point is, that AP should be used against hard targets like in real life.
While HEAT is used against soft targets, wich includes jeeps.
If this could be impleted i would say, yeah this would make more realistic use of round i think.

But AP should kills anything that is above the APC's
And HEAT should be used to kill anything below APC's
arjan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 16:29   #5
privetB

When AP rounds hit a HMMWV they would not only penetrate it, but due to the big pressure (and therefore big heat accumulation) it would kill everyone inside it.
Limiting the effectiveness of AP rounds just because the gunner don't know when to use them is ridiciulous.

But I think it would make sense if 12.7 mm NATO would cause that effect. Although I am not sure if it is able to penetrate the engine block of a HMMWV.
privetB is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 21:04   #6
jbgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimise View Post
I fail to see the point of this suggestion. What would you gain by making a tank/apc shoot a light vehicle twice...
The point is to make the mod more realistic IMO. Isnt that the ideal of any suggestions in this mod? Though the main point is that you will need to choose you ammo type wisely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjan View Post
I think the point is, that AP should be used against hard targets like in real life.
While HEAT is used against soft targets, wich includes jeeps.
If this could be impleted i would say, yeah this would make more realistic use of round i think.

But AP should kills anything that is above the APC's
And HEAT should be used to kill anything below APC's
Man, you should have written this suggestion for me, that is exactly what I mean. At least when HEAT stands for High Explosive Anti Tank. Though it should be renamed to HEAAPC (high explosive anti APC) IRL. I suppose its a tricky name though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuTika View Post
At the moment, AP rounds are more effective than HE against any vehicle. So basically usage is HE for infantry and AP for everything else. Now, at first this seems unrealistic but if you stop and think it's actually perfectly alright. HE rounds tend to detonate on the surface of the vehicle whereas AP will penetrate and do huge damage to vehicle internals.

Stu.
Good point Stu. Though I belive HE rounds would rather rip a vehicle appart.
Last edited by jbgeezer; 2009-10-03 at 21:53..
Old 2009-10-04, 15:23   #7
mat552

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgeezer View Post
The point is to make the mod more realistic IMO. Isnt that the ideal of any suggestions in this mod?
Never, ever, forget that 99/100 times, if the devs have a choice between balance or realism that is code-able either (but not both) way, we get the balanced option.
mat552 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 15:36   #8
Alex6714

As long as people inside the vehicle die, I can see that it wouldn´t just explode, but it wouldn´t just stop in pristine condition to let everyone out and run away. Though I think nerfing isnt the right way to go about it, if you want people to use a certain ammo type, make it more effective and not a chore to use. If it takes 30 seconds to switch, why switch? In that time the vehicle will be gone.

Quote:
Never, ever, forget that 99/100 times, if the devs have a choice between balance or realism that is code-able either (but not both) way, we get the balanced option.
You will find that alot of the time balance will more or less come with realism if it is the objective.
Alex6714 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 17:04   #9
StuTika

At the moment, AP rounds are more effective than HE against any vehicle. So basically usage is HE for infantry and AP for everything else. Now, at first this seems unrealistic but if you stop and think it's actually perfectly alright. HE rounds tend to detonate on the surface of the vehicle whereas AP will penetrate and do huge damage to vehicle internals.

Stu.
StuTika is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 23:17   #10
rampo

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuTika View Post

Stu.
Ive noticed the russian tanks heat rounds pwn sprandels better than AP's
rampo is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
armour, disables, piercing, vehicles