project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Modelling & Animations
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Modelling & Animations Everything but Static Objects

Old 2011-01-16, 23:44   #1
ukkis
Default [Vehicle] Leopard 2A4 [WIP](FDF)

Hello o/

About a year ago when 3ds max and 3d modeling itself was a completely new thing for me I started working on this model of leopard and got it almost ready. But then for some reason stopped working on it and just forgot about the whole thing.

So for the last few days I have been fixing the old model since it had an awful lot of weird and bugging things in it (rats nests as max calls them) and added some extra detail in it.

It has been a real pleasure to model this tank because the internet just seems to be full of useful reference images and a lot of them especially from the FDF version.

Now that I think I have the turret pretty much wrapped up I'd like to receive some critics.

I heard there are some other comfacs in need of the Leo but I am planning to make some very fdf -specific details in it. Should I include those details in a separate child object and uv map? Is that even possible?

FDF details are seen here in red wireframes.

We have also been talking about adding the kind of camouflage seen above with alpha planes.
ukkis is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-17, 13:31   #2
Hulabi
Supporting Member

Default re: [Vehicle] Leopard 2A4 [WIP] [FDF]

What's the preferred tricount for main battle tanks btw?
Hulabi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-17, 13:59   #3
$piTfirE<*F!N*>

The turret looks good to me. I served with Leos in the armoured brigade and I have to say that you've done very well.

As a bonus, if you'd like, maybe you can add a logo on the side of the turret. Like this:

$piTfirE<*F!N*> is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-17, 14:11   #4
ukkis

Quote:
Originally Posted by $piTfirE<*F!N*> View Post

As a bonus, if you'd like, maybe you can add a logo on the side of the turret. Like this:

Maybe we could do that. a heart would have been pretty bad ass though.

Do you have more useful reference images?
Old 2011-01-17, 14:25   #5
$piTfirE<*F!N*>

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukkis View Post
Maybe we could do that. a heart would have been pretty bad ass though.

Do you have more useful reference images?
Sure, bunch of 'em... I'll scan my archives and send some more via PM
$piTfirE<*F!N*> is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-17, 14:31   #6
ukkis

Quote:
Sure, bunch of 'em... I'll scan my archives and send some more via PM
thx your help is appreciated
Old 2011-01-17, 18:39   #7
TeRR0R
Supporting Member

Quote:
The turret looks good to me. I served with Leos in the armoured brigade and I have to say that you've done very well.

I like this extra armour plate
TeRR0R is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-19, 22:45   #8
AquaticPenguin

Tried to nitpick a bit since you're trying to keep the polycount down. Would be good to see a wire of the rest of the tank.

1.you can probably remove/texture in that block since it's obscured by the mesh and doesn't stick out much anyway.
2. looks like you have a loop to smooth off the edge, I'm not sure it's worthwhile, you could also lower the number of edges to the tubing since it looks overly smooth.
3. Don't think there's much point the gun being connected since it's perpendicular to the surface and unlikely to cause z-fighting.
4. Hatch is very detailed, but it will only be seem from above, you could get away with some detail lost here without any cost to quality.
5. Seems overly smooth for something that's on top of the tank, could reduce the number of smoothing polys. You could probably get rid of the gap underneath the object and put it in the texture.
6. Also quite high poly for something that's not that visible
7. Same as 6, Quite a few edge loops at the base of it which could be faked on the texture.
8. vertex can be removed? doesn't seem to be adding anything to the shape/shading.
AquaticPenguin is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-19, 23:11   #9
ukkis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaticPenguin View Post
3. Don't think there's much point the gun being connected since it's perpendicular to the surface and unlikely to cause z-fighting.
4. Hatch is very detailed, but it will only be seem from above, you could get away with some detail lost here without any cost to quality.
5. Seems overly smooth for something that's on top of the tank, could reduce the number of smoothing polys. You could probably get rid of the gap underneath the object and put it in the texture.
We are planning to attach a machine gun on top so I also have to keep in mind that the detail on top are seen very closely when operating the mg. But anyway the hatches definitely have too much tris in them.

Good point in #3

thanks for feedback : ]
Old 2011-01-17, 18:41   #10
Hauteclocque
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NautaFIN View Post
What's the preferred tricount for main battle tanks btw?
Looking at the current tricount of new PR models...go for something between 8k and 9k, provided the detail is worth it and the model is pretty well optimized. (and you will have to make some good LODs for it too :P)

About the model, you may add a few tris to the end of the barrel, looks pretty squary at the moment

And be careful about the way you model the barrel, the part which moves when you fire shouldn't be welded to the rest of the barrel (they are exported in two parts, "Barrel__GenericFireArm", the moving part and "Barrel_Base__RotationalBundle, the part rotating Up and Down.)

Hauteclocque is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
2a4, fdf, leopard, vehicle, wip, wipfdf