project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2005-09-19, 18:30   #1
Artnez
Supporting Member

Default Fastroping.. we neeeed a plus side!

Ok, let's all brainstorm.

The problem with fastroping is, although it's cool, it's completely useless when in-game.

You can just land and take off or land at a very close location.

We need to think of some sort of advantage to fast roping. Think! Think!

"Having the piss taken out of you is a small price to pay when others do your research. Thank you gentlemen." - Azametric(IRL)
Artnez is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-19, 18:35   #2
Wolfmaster
Retired PR Developer

the easiest thing to do would be to create an advantage by modifying the game. cus as it is it's pretty useless, but change the game and we might just enjoy having it.

Wolfmaster is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-19, 22:07   #3
solodude23

Its advantage is getting your troops in an area the helo cannot land in. IE in between dense trees or an urban envoroonment. Therefore it IS practical, in game and in real life.
solodude23 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-19, 22:49   #4
Artnez
Supporting Member

Right, but the problem in BF2 is that a helicopters blades go through buildings instead of create an obstruction.

The actual blackhawk can land in an extremely narrow street. But if the blades hit a building or tree, goodbye chopper. It's not like this in BF2 ... is possible to change this?

"Having the piss taken out of you is a small price to pay when others do your research. Thank you gentlemen." - Azametric(IRL)
Old 2005-09-19, 22:54   #5
Beckwith

i was under the impression rotor blades had collision meshes
Beckwith is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-19, 23:03   #6
Artnez
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckwith
i was under the impression rotor blades had collision meshes
*shrugs*

I know for a fact that I can land in a very narrow street and my rotor blades will go directly through the building.

Old 2005-09-19, 23:15   #7
BrokenArrow
Retired PR Developer

i think PR is working on rotor blades being solid, i could be wrong but it would make sense right?

solo pretty much nailed the avatages, plus its faster and less dangerous to the chopper to rope the guys in rather than land. since even if the chopper went down into the street (with unsolid rotor) its manouverability would be taken away, basically making it dead.

BrokenArrow is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-19, 23:46   #8
JoW

If you make the "take off" more slow fastroping would be more prefered as the bird can stay airborne. If you have to land it will take more time and the chance of getting hit increases. If they add more power to rockets its even more dangerous to actually land when a guy comes up with a launcher and blows the chopper up. If you also put a bugger timespawn on choppers you would want to keep your bird safe and not do stupid things.

In real life situations the choppers rarely land in the middle of a city enviorment that is full of enemy troops. They use it more for air cover (see blackhawk down) Insertions and air cover are usually the main objectives of the transport choppers, thats why extractions are done outside the city borders most of the time. More space and less risk of damage.
JoW is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-20, 01:13   #9
solodude23

The collision mesh on helicopters rotors is there, but it only goes about 1/3-1/2 way down the actual blade, instead of the entire thing. You can find this out by either pitloting in 3rd person in BF2 or jumping on the helo and walking on the rotors.
solodude23 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-09-20, 03:30   #10
worst 3

i dont know if this means any thing tword the collison mesh but i have thrown c4 on the tips of the helicopeter blades and it stayed (i liked to see the spining red sculs) they did not go as fast as the blades did)

i think it should be in the game, can you more the choper when fast ropeing. i think there right the halos take off to fast after you made them take off from spawn it is instant. should people fall of if the halo jinks fast?? and how would we choes fast ropeing from jumping or other ways of geting out. Ex jumping in water parshut spec and just geting out on the ground or close to it??
worst 3 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
fastroping, neeeed, side