project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > News / Announcements > Project Reality News
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Project Reality News Project Reality news releases and announcements.

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-11, 10:18   #1
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Arrow Rememberance/Veterans Day 2011

Today, as many of you are aware, is Remembrance Day, or for those of you in America, Veterans Day where we commemorate the sacrifices made by those, in conflicts past and present, to preserve the freedom which we take for granted every day. So although Project Reality is just a game, let us not forget the men and women who have fought in the past, and those on the front lines today.

This year, Remembrance/Veterans Day falls at 11 am on the 11th day of the 11th month of 2011 (11-11-11-11). To mark this once in a lifetime Remembrance/Veterans Day, we at Project Reality decided to go that extra mile by creating the Camp Bastion Memorial which will stand ingame, in Camp Bastion on our upcoming map, Sangin.

The real Camp Bastion Memorial is dedicated to those who have fallen in the line of duty in Helmand Province, Afghanistan and is used as a focal point for the Vigil services before those soldiers are repatriated back to the UK as well as of course the annual Remembrance Day services in Camp Bastion.

The PR Camp Bastion Memorial model and textures where created by [R-DEV]Rhino and the memorial site done by [R-DEV]Dr Rank.

We also feel this is a rather fitting day to reveal how much we raised for Help for Heroes (registered charity number: 1120920) at the Project Reality Convention 2011 (PR CON 2011) earlier this year where many like-minded Project Reality players all got together to play some good old PR, as well as some other games with all profits from the event going to charity!

Thanks to all of you who took part, donated towards the event and the event's sponsors Alpha-Networks, Barclay's Bank, Templant Hire & GLL. Together we raised for Help for Heroes a total of:

(Help for Heroes event number: 20010731-6531-1870)

This entirety of the money raised has gone towards helping support members of the Armed Forces who have been wounded in the service of their country.

Thanks again for all your support!

- The Project Reality Team

Last edited by Rhino; 2018-11-02 at 05:56..
Old 2011-11-11, 11:04   #2
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Rememberance/Veterans Day 2011

Just stood in silence for the two minutes, thank you to everyone who contributed to our own donation.

Old 2011-11-11, 11:04   #3
Cpl.Small

Lest we forget
Old 2011-11-11, 12:32   #4
Mad-Mike

That is true respect right there! Good job Rhino and Dr.Rank, Probs one of the best things you could add on a map!

R.I.P to all the fallen soldiers, lest we forget!
Aswell as all the soldiers out on operations today

Last edited by Mad-Mike; 2011-11-11 at 13:50..
Old 2011-11-11, 13:16   #5
Tarranauha200

Ye, without those soldiers I would be propably speaking russia now.

Respect
Old 2011-11-11, 15:36   #6
Redamare
Supporting Member

that's really something thank you
Old 2011-11-11, 15:43   #7
mockingbird0901
Supporting Member

If I see anybody doing anything to this memorial other than saluting it I will be tempted to TK them.. Won't do it, as it's sort of counter productive in my mind, but I will be tempted... In my mind these people deserve all the respect they can get, whether one agrees with them being there or not.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
-Albert Einstein
Volens et potens
Tema567 just might be my new hero
Old 2011-11-11, 16:22   #8
KiNg828

All brits should salute this before they play the map, would be awesome.

RIP all those that have served and given the ultimate sacrifice so we may live on in peace at home.
Old 2011-11-11, 16:39   #9
UKrealplayER666

Such a nice touch, great idea guys
Old 2011-11-11, 18:23   #10
Thermis
Retired PR Developer

That is very cool, great work.

I have a quote for everyone, it sums up the idea of veteran's day/remembrance day very well.

Quote:
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to their country, for an amount "up to, and including my life."
Closed Thread

Tags
2011, day, rememberance or veterans