project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
28 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2014-05-19, 17:32   #1
GGEfferen
Default Lack of SLs

I don?t know if it?s only happening to me, but lately most of the servers I join there?s a a complete lack of Squad Leaders. Only 1 or 2 per team create infantry squads, and if the SL goes AFK or leaves, the hole squad will disband because no one else is in condition of leading It. If there is someone willing to teach a couple of guys how to run a squad I?d be glad to participate, and I?m sure many others will do.
GGEfferen is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-19, 19:05   #2
Midnight_o9
Supporting Member

Default Re: Lack of SLs

It's been a problem for quite a while now, old SLs "retired" and no one has been willing to replace them, in my opinion because there are so many "new" players who don't follow orders and just do as they wish. And very few people are willing to spend a whole round trying to gather his men and yell at them until they actually act as intelligent human beings.
My very few attempts at leading went completely to hell as it's really hard to be heard and followed by people. So now I sometimes happen to create a squad if no one does, just to fill in the gaps but I don't lead, I just gave up.
It's also really hard to manage 8 people plus communicating with other squads/commander and building stuff and making decisions... not many people are willing to go through all that.

Ask for Wicca to teach you or to create an "academy" on PRTA, the guy's always SL and he LOOOOVES talking, he'll swarm you with his good words and teach you everything you want!
Midnight_o9 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-19, 19:34   #3
OldGoat5
Supporting Member

Make a squad called teamwork, and if you initiate some kind of teamwork mission to help the team, it will mostly run itself. If you are new to leading, just ask other squad leaders how you could assist them with your squad, and you will have a good round.
OldGoat5 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-19, 19:35   #4
disnoxxio

Nothing more fun then squadleading random pubbies who are actually willing to cooperate with you, Spearhead (unit in PRTA), was actually created with that in mind, squadleading everyone who is willing to play and make them follow you. As long as you talk much and keep em bussy with your talking they will 9/10 follow you. If they do not, you report them/kick them out of the squad.

There are enough people willing to follow squadleaders but you just need to interact a lot with them in the squad, make sure they are there and responding all the time, then eventually they get the hang of it, and you see how much they appreciate someone willing/trying to get the squad together and making coordinated attacks/moves.
disnoxxio is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-19, 19:39   #5
xleathery420x

Yeah I myself also don't particularly like leading, don't get me wrong it has it's very rewarding moments when you get a tight squad who knows how to stick together and fallow Squadleader's directions and orders. I also commend people who enjoy squad leading and make good effort to keep their squad active and together game after game.

I Myself find it tiring to lead squad after squad after squad when i do pick up the kit, my best advice to keep the Squadleaders who do enjoy squadleading to keep from burning out from the position would be to learn the game mechanics and step up to the role once in a while. as well as fallow your squadleadrs orders to the best of your ability.
Last edited by xleathery420x; 2014-05-19 at 19:46.. Reason: not finished typing
Old 2014-05-19, 19:49   #6
Ratface
Retired PR Developer

As a person who likes to sqd lead a lot, I have to say one of the big things that turns me off anymore are people going on solo journey's without my permission. Sometimes I like send out 2 man patrols when defending and such, but when people decide to go and do whatever it really messes with your plans for engagement or for defenses.

Come summer time I'm sure people will be back, at least those who have been busy with school and such like me. With any luck we'll see an increase within the next month or two!

Ratface is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-19, 19:54   #7
Cassius
Supporting Member

I notice social inhibition in general. Players used to get all excited about new ways to communicate wrestling VOIP programs and making sure they join the right channel on the right side so they can talk to their squad. Some even went through the trouble to learn english :O .

But nowdays most squads are mute despite my attempts at humour, no matter how many gender or racial stereotypes I throw in.

|TG|cap_Kilgore
Cassius is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-19, 21:17   #8
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

If I do a squad with unknown pubbers I choose to defend the last flag as this can be easier to organise. I have been pleasantly surprised with the CO operation of many US players recently, last time we were the only inf squad at bunkers on Kashan and through being careful and slow we kept the flag.
I was annoyed by our two big squads up on the hills, but as we ended up winning by 300 tickets I am forced to think that they kept the pressure off us and killed alot of enemy armour from up there.

Verdict if you're not confident in yourself of your squad go defend.
PLODDITHANLEY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-19, 22:41   #9
Brainlaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLODDITHANLEY View Post
If I do a squad with unknown pubbers I choose to defend the last flag as this can be easier to organise. I have been pleasantly surprised with the CO operation of many US players recently, last time we were the only inf squad at bunkers on Kashan and through being careful and slow we kept the flag.
I was annoyed by our two big squads up on the hills, but as we ended up winning by 300 tickets I am forced to think that they kept the pressure off us and killed alot of enemy armour from up there.

Verdict if you're not confident in yourself of your squad go defend.
How about you leave that god forsaken place you're stuck in right now Plodd and come back to Europe?
Brainlaag is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-19, 23:48   #10
Wicca
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainlaag View Post
How about you leave that god forsaken place you're stuck in right now Plodd and come back to Europe?
Ploddit, we need u back in europe.

To answer the OP.

PR is a game made for squadleaders. Without them the game simply is not enjoying. I am currently working on that, so if you want to join along the ride, feel free to visit my teamspeak or site.

All I can say to new squadleaders is; If you don't know how to attack, defend. And make sure you remember those sweet spots on the different maps. Where to go etc.

If you are abit more intermediate, experiment with how to give commands, how to talk to people and how to use local to your advantage. Social experiments will really bost your self esteem. Even if they fail.

And when you feel you have good control of your squad, pairs of 2 are the best way to clear out shit. Since they dont fill the comms, and 2 is always better than 1.

Hopefully we can start leading SLs back into PR.

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Wicca is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
lack, sls