project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 2015-11-04, 00:08   #1
Boris
Default GPU Needed

OK, a long shot, but does anyone have a (or more than one) half-decent GPU including a waterblock they'd like to sell? Doesn't need to be the latest & greatest, but I don't really want to go and drop 500 quid on a Nvidia 980+block just yet.

The old card I ran PR on decided to die a while back and I just haven't got around to buying a replacement. I need to play some PR though now...

Oh, in the U.K. preferably too, and PCI-E.
Boris is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-04, 00:43   #2
MaSSive
Default Re: GPU Needed

OK why not give 400 quid for new 970 Strix with watercooling prebuilt in the UK?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-...wc-122-tl.html

Sorry for not answering your question as you asked but its better than nothing.

Cheers.
MaSSive is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-04, 20:35   #3
Boris

Hmm, I'd prefer not to as it's not exactly cheap, and way more than I need to run PR (which is the only game I play these days). Looks like it'd also be cheaper to just go to Scan and buy the block separately.

Honestly, I just need something that will run PR decently. My previous card (that died) was only a a GTS 250 (512MB) worth very little and that ran PR pretty well at 2560x1440 res. So I'm just curious as to whether anyone might have something like that, or a bit better, laying around in a drawer, possibly after upgrading to something better.

It's not that I can't afford to buy the biggest and best card out there, it's just that I don't need it, and would rather not have to spend that kind of money. A 3-year old card would probably be fine really.
Last edited by Boris; 2015-11-04 at 20:41..
Old 2015-11-04, 20:43   #4
Steeps
Supporting Member

You were watercooling a GTS 250? Wat.

May I ask what is stopping you from just buying an aircooled card?

This GT 730 outperforms the GTS 250: PNY GeForce GT 730 - Newegg.com

The GTX 750 Ti handily outperforms either of course: EVGA GTX 750 Ti - Newegg.com

If you really need watercooling: EK-introduces-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-750-Ti-water-block/

Steeps is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-04, 21:32   #5
DesmoLocke
Supporting Member

I'm selling an EVGA GTX 780 with reference cooler for $250. Interested?

I'm actually selling two GTX 780 cards for $500 firm. I'll throw in a long SLI bridge connector and pay for shipping within the U.S. (Alaska and Hawaii excluded).

I think it's a reasonable offer considering GTX 970s are going for around $330 still and they offer comparable performance numbers.
http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-...eForce-GTX-780

PR player since 0.5 (Feb 2007)
DesmoLocke is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-04, 23:23   #6
Boris

@Steeps: Noise. Heat. Efficient cooling. The block came off a 7800 I was running prior, happened to fit the GTS.

@DesmoLocke - Thanks I'll give that some consideration, though I'm way out of touch with what's what these days, so have no idea what a reasonable price would be for that card. Problem though there is acquiring a waterblock for it - will have to see what's on eBay and get back to you. Cheers.
Old 2015-11-07, 23:49   #7
MaSSive

You dont really need any of those GPUs. PR is CPU hungry more than GPU. So perhaps to be in line with fresh stuff comming from the oven you may want to look at GTX950.

Example: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-co...eforce-gtx-950

I ws wondering why you mentioned watercooling, I though youre into OCing and running something heavier. This will run PR and most of other games without problems. And dont waste money on waterblock, aircooling is just fine for what you need it, and is an overkill. And who knows that block you have may fit on GTX950..

If this is too expensive safely go for GT730. It will do fine with PR. Just get one with GDDR5 VRAM, most are GDDR3.
Last edited by MaSSive; 2015-11-08 at 00:02..
Old 2015-11-08, 11:53   #8
Boris

Hey there, MaSSive.

Yeah I know all about PR and its demands - I know it's highly CPU dependent which is a good part of the reason I don't really want to spend a lot on something that would be totally overkill. Maybe if some other, newer, game out there ever takes my interest I'll get something good. Still, I do run a native res of 2560x1440, so it needs at least a little grunt, especially if I want to use AA and maintain 60fps.

Re: Watercooling - Yes, as far as it being necessary (for heavy OC'ing and stuff) I know it's not especially necessary that I run it on an old GPU for PR, but I do like WC for quietness of the system. I've had too many cards on air in the past that drove me nuts with the noise they make. My system is near silent as it stands today. Been running a custom WC rig for 11 years now - you could say I've grown to love it - except for when it comes time to change-up hardware where new (expensive) blocks might be involved.

Money is not an issue here as far as availability goes. I will take your recommendations into mind and have a think about what best to do.

Been weighing-up the GTX 780's that Desmolocke mentioned there - had a look around eBay to see if there were any used blocks available for them but not much coming up except for Asus Geforce GTX 780 DirectCU with EK water block | eBay - gonna at least see what that sells for.

Also, any opinions on this card: water cooled GeForce GTX 590 BEAST 3GB MEMORY | eBay ?

Thanks for the reply, appreciated.
Old 2015-11-08, 17:06   #9
MaSSive

Besides the fact you wil need a power plant to run that ( uses 300W nad maybe more and you need 2x8pin PCie connectors each capable of delivering 150W, note the Amps on each rail too ) it is also a dual core GPU so you might have problem cause its SLI in fact. For the money sounds good considering how expensive it was when it came out, but seem a bit outdated.

When you compare it to 950 which is labaled as quiet ( aircooled ) and using only 90W of power, having modern features and is capable to run at that resolution it does not look as a good choice, especially used no matter what seller wrote there. Its still your choice. For PR it does not matter obviosly which of the two you would take.

Sadly there are no water blocks made for 950.

GeForce GTX 950 | Specifications | GeForce

Video Card Comparison - GPUReview.com

Do wait for more input before you decide.
MaSSive is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-08, 18:31   #10
Boris

Re: Power, yeah, I saw that they were thirsty (duel-gpu), but the AXi PSU should've handled it OK. Anyhow, looks like that card went so I guess I'll have to keep looking. Shame as the aqua computer cooler was worth a lot of money on its own really (though useless for any other card).

I've been comparing GPUs using this URL. That ranks the GTX590 at position #20, and the GTX950 at #37. That places it next to a GTX780 no less. So, old though it is, looks like it still had some balls to it (SLi problems aside).

Sigh, I'd just like something that'll do the job, on water. Thinking eBay may be the best option here now. Will have to keep checking to see what comes up I guess.

Tags
gpu, needed