project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Aircraft Tactics
30 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2016-02-10, 23:06   #1
[R-MOD]FFG
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Default Jet Dumb bombing

FFG is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-11, 16:56   #2
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Jet Dumb bombing

Was hoping more of a tutorial on how to accurately bomb w/o going vertical. Vertical dive i think is the easiest one, but also risky as it takes longer to get out of the area in case of AA.
Also might be worth to check the TTL on some bombs and do some testing to find maximum height for bombs to hit ground. I am sure you could drop them even before breaking through clouds.
Nice video all in all. Maybe have some 3p views when explaining the pros and cons at the end instead of blurry kashan

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-11, 19:13   #3
[R-MOD]FFG
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Mats391 View Post
Was hoping more of a tutorial on how to accurately bomb w/o going vertical. Vertical dive i think is the easiest one, but also risky as it takes longer to get out of the area in case of AA.
Ahh I mean, if your preflare as you come in, AA isn't really an issue unless you get completely fucked. Ground AA is only scary when you don't think as you fly, or if its mixed in with friendly forces on the ground.

Quote:
Also might be worth to check the TTL on some bombs and do some testing to find maximum height for bombs to hit ground. I am sure you could drop them even before breaking through clouds.
You can drop a bomb as high as 1500m, any higher and they won't explode. I say to drop when you break out of the clouds for minor accuracy changes. Its easy to correct in an A10, but jets like the MIG29 and F16 can be a bit harder trying to BVR bomb due to them being faster and more sensitive.

Quote:
Nice video all in all. Maybe have some 3p views when explaining the pros and cons at the end instead of blurry kashan
This video was rushed more than I would have liked, but i think its a good way for people who are learning to fly CAS to start bombing overall.

But thank you for the feedback, I've got it down in my notes for the next one

Old 2016-02-12, 06:45   #4
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFG View Post
Ahh I mean, if your preflare as you come in, AA isn't really an issue unless you get completely fucked. Ground AA is only scary when you don't think as you fly, or if its mixed in with friendly forces on the ground.
Dive Bombers will be pretty easy for CLOS SAMs to engage you as you will be flying in a predictable straight line, with no terrain etc around you to obscure your approach and flaring wont make a difference there

Also flaring against normal IR/Radar SAMs wont help much since you will be in front of your flares and the SAM can easily lock on and engage on your approach.

Is the simplest way to dumb bomb yes, but is pretty risky.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-21, 19:35   #5
Brozef

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Dive Bombers will be pretty easy for CLOS SAMs to engage.

Not if you drop straight down from 5 km, good luck with that ground AA. This is why CAS is OP AF in PR.
Brozef is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-22, 03:20   #6
[R-MOD]FFG
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozef View Post
Not if you drop straight down from 5 km, good luck with that ground AA. This is why CAS is OP AF in PR.
CAS isn't OP as fuck.

It requires a special balance of not being a fucking idiot, and working as a team to be good. All accounts of CAS whores going 100+ kills comes down to a larger group then just the pilot working together and giving intel to the pilots.

So CAS isn't OP, People playing against them are just not as co-ordinated.

Old 2016-02-22, 06:35   #7
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozef View Post
I did say:
Quote:
Dive Bombers will be pretty easy for CLOS SAMs to engage.
M/SA CLOS SAMs require no lock on so unless the dive bomber takes you totally by surprise then its pretty easy to engage them: https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f19...m-systems.html

And on the Falklands, which is the main map you will find dumb bombing on in v1.4 since pretty much all the bombs in PR:F are dumb bombs (other than one British Harrier GR3 which does carry Paveway II LGBs, but that has a very long, delayed spawn, and wont be seen much) and with the maps 3km view distance and many of the SAMs being CLOS SAMs, its going to be pretty hard to take them by surprise, especially things like the Frigate which will be able to see you coming from up high, long before you can see it and with it on the move, will make it hard to hit in a dive bomb, and your best approach for your own safety, like in r/l, is to fly very low to the ground, using the terrain to mask your approach and protect you from fire for as long as possible

But ye on normal PR maps where the view distance is very short and the SAMs have to lock on, you have most likely already dropped the bombs and started to pull up before they have even got a tone on you...

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-22, 03:04   #8
[R-MOD]FFG
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Dive Bombers will be pretty easy for CLOS SAMs to engage you as you will be flying in a predictable straight line, with no terrain etc around you to obscure your approach and flaring wont make a difference there

Also flaring against normal IR/Radar SAMs wont help much since you will be in front of your flares and the SAM can easily lock on and engage on your approach.

I mean, I've yet to be shot down by anti air as i dive out of the clouds above them at 90 degrees.

But then you might say "but what if there are multiple AA in one area"

If there are multiple AA in one area, just don't go there.

OR I dare say, ask Tank squad or APC squad to try and kill there AA if at all possible.

Old 2016-03-05, 20:29   #9
viirusiiseli
Banned

Quote:
This, it's much safer to just learn how to drop a bit above the target while coming in at around 30 degree angle and fly into the clouds much faster. Dive down toward the target and you'll be pulling up for 15 seconds while getting shot at by AA.

Angled dive is always quicker on getting out than diving straight down.
viirusiiseli is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-06, 03:16   #10
X-Alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by viirusiiseli View Post
This, it's much safer to just learn how to drop a bit above the target while coming in at around 30 degree angle and fly into the clouds much faster. Dive down toward the target and you'll be pulling up for 15 seconds while getting shot at by AA.

Angled dive is always quicker on getting out than diving straight down.
This. Also, I've noticed that flying level and using the bottom of the crosshair will get the perfect spread of bombs on a FOB.
X-Alt is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
bombing, dumb, jet