project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
30 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2004-12-23, 02:22   #11
Ugly Duck

IRT solo, that squad set up is good.. however. Remove squad leader and AT from the list. Squad leader should simply be a guy that chooses to be the leader. Riflemen should have the choice when they spawn between a set of frag nades and a desposable AT weapon(AT4, RPG1.
Ugly Duck is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-30, 20:27   #12
Silence14
Default Re: Tank Crews - How many!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Matt
i see this as something that will ultimatly define how this mod works and what it is

ofcourse True realism demands there must be a seperate driver and gunner

BUT Will i realy find someone willing to drive my ass around out of the kindness of their heart with the same dexterity i could with enough co-operation to go where i need him while he has considerably LESS fun than me (i mean think about it, he has no gun!), i understand there is a newfangled points system in BF:2 that would make it somewhat worthwhile, but still - No fun!

there Might be enough people like that, it Might work, but if it doesn't - Tank Combat will turn into an unco-ordinated mob of headless-chickens with large guns and ultimatly they may lose the usage they need altogether as people abandom them (Gunner can't drive - Driver would rather be a gunner)

I'm not saying there are NO people out there willing to contribute to this realistic gameplay, but if its anything like DCR it will fall into a very small Niche very fast

so what will it be? - Driver and Gunner or 'Commander' who does both??
I think the About section states it pretty clearly.

"It will be about realistic gameplay, everything else is secondary. This Mod will also not be for the masses, due to the fact that it will have a higher learning curve then your classic arcade game."

I don't think a combined driver and gunner fits into this.

And the system in DCR works quite well. I don't think I've ever seen you playing it, though.
Silence14 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 01:05   #13
Figisaacnewton

DCR has it right. Sure it isnt totally realistic, but being the loader would be boring, and being the commander may be stupid as the driver might not listen to you. As long as we have cool sounds and everything it will be good. also, in dcr, they always say 'sabot round up' or something even if you are going to fire a heap round. fixing that would be nice.
Figisaacnewton is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-19, 04:14   #14
G-CAP

I cant wait for ofp2
G-CAP is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-28, 01:41   #15
snipurs

my self i wouldnt care if i drive around but, i do like to have some nice rewards. i wonder if they can mod in a ranking system that records whos the best driver and also if you drive not only the gunner gets the kill but the whole tank crew thats just my 2 cents
snipurs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-28, 15:23   #16
Wolfmaster
Retired PR Developer

isn't that a feature in bf2 already?

Wolfmaster is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-02-05, 03:07   #17
starwarsfan11

more people then u think would like to drive and like u said u could make it worthwill for the driver
starwarsfan11 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-02-17, 23:33   #18
Zazane

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo
I agree, but not with vehicles. I think that it should be like that with weapons in BF2. Example.: Each squad needs a Squad Leader, 1 Medic, 1 Gunner (AR), 2 Riflemen, 1 Gredadier, and 1 Anti-Armour.
Hmm, what about giving only the squad leader the ability to choose where the members of his squad spawns. It might keep the unit working as a unit throughout the entire game instead of wandering off and doing their own thing. Of course this leaves a lot of room for fuckups, but the people you want playing as squad leaders wouldn't really be prone to those as they will want to take care of spawn management as part of their role as leader.
Zazane is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-02-18, 01:30   #19
CHIKEN

The thing that gets me about the 2 tank crew requirements is that if there are loads of tanks laying around most people will jump in and drive off on their own rather then wait for another person to spawn and jump in their tank.

I know numerous times when i have played RO and waited for someone to join me ina tank only to have them run off in another tank on their own and refuse to let anyone join him.

But i can say that when you get someones thats not a total ass it more then pays off for waiting and you normally end up sticking with them for the rest of the map.

Also i keep heari ng about bf2 being huge and such. If the maps are so large and this is not aimed at the masses consequently masses wont be playing. Causing a problem when you need people to spread out to 5 different bases at the same time... Thats 10 people which is just 5 tanks 1 to each base. Not to mention they will die in one hit.

For any sort of tank battle you will need atleast 20-25 people on a server for minimum battles.

Doesnt forgotten hope have a single person driving and shooting the main cannon?
CHIKEN is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-02-28, 21:04   #20
Pulaski

I agree with Solodude and Silence14. The DCR system works beautifully. For those of you not familiar with it:

Position 1 - Driver/Tank Commander: combined position which controls the movement of the tank and uses the + crosshair to "sight" targets for the Main Gunner. The viewpoint of this position his high up in the turret, 360 degree traverse with unobstructed view. The Tank Commander does not move the gun turret. TC uses left click and right click to issue commands to gunner: "Contact, gunner traverse left"

Position 2 - Main Gunner - fires the main gun and the machine gun. Uses a HUD to sight targets as identified by the TankCommander. Point of view is zoomed in and restricted to a medium sized window. The turret is operated by the gunner and is independent from the Tank Commander. The gunner has a choice of ammunition, either HEAT or Sabot.

Position 3 - Secondary Gunner - fires the anti air / anti personnel .50 cal gun mounted on the turret as well as operating the smoke granade launcher.

When you have competent people in these position, the tank is near invincible. I've had instances where the tank lasted an entire round. It was a great experience: my top gunner and I would fix the tank when it got hit, I would spot the targets and the main gunner pick them off, while the top gunner kept the air space clear. On one occasion we recorded 32 kills and 0 deaths.

When operating the tank alone, the effectiveness is decreased, however, you can still move the tank along, carefully, and when you spot a target, you can quickly switch to Pos.2 and take it out. Yes, you are a target since you're not moving, but the tank is still operable.

The only change I would make would be to make the .50 cal gunner position independent of the turret movement, so that he can keep the gun pointed where he wants rather than where the Main Gunner is pointing.

/s Pulaski
Pulaski is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
crews, tank