project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
28 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2009-12-28, 06:23   #11
JKJudgeX
Default Re: AK-47 Accuracy... really?

Not to be contrary, but...

1) I wouldn't have posted here if I hadn't played 0.87 with the AK-47. It's not very good.

2) We haven't really discussed the penetration difference between the two rounds in question, 7.62x39 will go through cinder block and most other common building materials, trees, etc and create secondary projectiles. 5.56 simply will not, 45 degree angle, or straight on. Watch US Military training video "Concealment does not equal cover" Basic Urban Skills Training - Concealment does NOT equal Cover for a comparison of the two rounds.

Now, why would I mention this? If the extra penetration cannot be easily handled by the engine, then, the weapon system should be compensated in some other way. Many, many vietnam era soldiers despised the 5.56 because of its failure to punch through dense vegetation.

3) Honestly, I wouldn't even complain if it didn't "Feel" wrong. I play lots of FPS games, and the only one that's simultaneously "worth playing" and also simultaneously "worth complaining about" is Project Reality. Did Call of Duty Modern Warfare get any of the guns right? No. But it's not worth talking about, it's basically a cartoon. PR does such a good job in so many other places, that the complete TRASH handling on the AK (yes, even in 0.87) makes playing the insurgency factions a NOVELTY at best "oh neat, it's fun to be the underdog".

AK-47 vs. M-16 isn't bows and arrows vs. laserguns in the real world, it shouldn't be in PR, either.

4) Cite all the sources you want, honestly, it won't help the game. The key is to get out there and fire a few rounds. It's not that hard. AK-47's and M-16's are designed to be 1 man MoA. Modern, nicely taken care of, HOBBYIST AR-15's can be upgraded into 1 MoA rifles. Who knows what the real thing is pushing? I've only ever fired a really nicely put together AR-15, and it can easily hit a paper plate at 100 yards... but, so can an AK-47. I'm not sure EITHER weapon can hit a paper plate at 100 yards in PR.

Oh yeah you might be stressed or whatever, but, also, sometimes adrenaline kicks in and IMPROVES one's capabilities. Shooting at the range, relaxed, I'm very prone to not do my best, because I don't care. If someone told me I was going to die if I didn't do my best? I might be a better shot. Nobody is saying the bullet should be a laser beam, but, I'm surely not the only person who has complained about the difficulty of shooting people as insurgents in this game. I pretty much dread playing insurgents because of the terrible gun handling.
Last edited by JKJudgeX; 2009-12-28 at 06:32..

Tags
accuracy, ak47