project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Software & Operating Systems
29 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Software & Operating Systems Discussion on Computer Software & Operating Systems

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2010-09-12, 23:17   #1
SnipingCoward
Default [Solved] Win 7 x64 - GA-X58A-UD3R Too much "Hardware Reserved" RAM (2GB out of 6GB)

Introduction

Specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (Firmware: "GX58AUDR3_FA")
RAM: 3x 2GB G.SKILL DDR3RAM-1333 CL7 PC3-10666 (F3-10666CL7T-6GBPK)

After a recent install of Windows on my new Computer I went into "Control Panel\System and Security\System" to have a look at the specs and saw that "Installed memory (RAM): 6GB (4GB usable)"

This made me curious as of why my 2 GB of my RAM are not being used. I eventually stumbled upon the "Resource Monitor"'s "Memory"-Tab the chart at the bottom showed that 2GB are "Hardware Reserved".

Solution
Quick Fix with a flaw:
Disabling Hyperthreading in the BIOS solved this problem, however a good feature to be used in conjunction with a game like BF2 which is not optimized for multiple cores clearly seemed unfavorable.

Long-term Fix:
Updating the BIOS to version FB ("GX58AUDR3_FB") actually enabled me to use Hyperthreading again, while Windows 7 recognized all 6GB as usable and only 2MB as "Hardware Reserved".

CAUTION:
This BIOS update eventually caused my System to report "JRAID" error (which, on occasions, causes the system to freeze for about 5 sec) possibly due to new Hardware slot enumeration. (solved and discussed in this thread: https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f35...t-stopped.html)
Last edited by SnipingCoward; 2010-09-13 at 00:06..

Tags
2gb, 6gb, gax58aud3r, hardware reserved, ram, solved, win, x64