project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Coding
27 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2022-12-08, 17:54   #1
Kabelvision

Question [BF2] Bypassing "out of ghost ids max: 1023"?

Sup gamers,

! this is for my BF2 mod it has nothing todo with Project Reality !
(im not sure where I could go else to ask..)

currently I stumbled upon an problem, I have too much destructible objects, Singleplayer works fine but after starting an dedicated server and joining it, the server will crash once the game is "done" loading, after reading this I knew that it had to do with the amount of destructible objects.

Now my question, is it possible to bypass/ignore this check? I tried looking into it with "IDA Freeware" and found:

hexadecimal "3F F" or "03 FF" equals to 1023 in decimal, however if I open up "bf2_w32d.exe" in an hex editor and goto the offset "0015B6C0" and replace "03 FF" (big endian) and replace it with lets say "FF FF" (65535 decimal).

Now if I start the game and server then join the server it will still crash, however instead of displaying "out of ghost ids max: 1023" as an error it will now diplay the error: "out of ghost ids max: 65535", meaning all I did was to alter the error message, not the actual limit.. just searchin for "FF 03" in the hex editor returns too many results to go through for me, does anyone has some offsets on hand or can tell me if its even possible?
Last edited by Kabelvision; 2022-12-08 at 17:55.. Reason: typo

Tags
assembly, error, hex, offset, patching