project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
12 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2007-03-21, 10:36   #1
TacticalSuicide

Default RPG-7 Accuracy..

According to Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPG-7

The RPG-7 fires accurately out to 300 meters using standard HEAT ammunition.

Quote:
"The grenade is stabilized by two sets of fins that deploy in-flight: one large set on the stabilizer pipe to maintain direction and a smaller front set to induce rotation. The grenade can fly up to 1100 meters; the fuze sets the maximum range, usually 920 m.

Accurate firing is difficult over 300 m and with the RPG-7 the phrase "the closer the better" is always true. During the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan the Mujahideen tended to use the weapon at ranges of less than 80 m."
300 meters.

That's about standard for an open sight weapon.

I've been aiming at stuff like 50 meters away and had the rocket hit the ground like 10 feet in front of me because it's so inaccurate.

Standing stationary with my sights dead on an M1A1 at 65 meters, the rocket goes straight over the top of the tank. So I fired again, aiming basically at the same spot.. rocket explodes on the ground off to one side of the tank.

Gyro-stabilized.

Using 150m as a practical range for the weapon, the rocket should be travelling at over 500km/h when it reaches its target, so, that's ALOT of gyro stabilization.

Think "a football".

You throw it.

If it doesn't spin using the two ends as an axis, it doesn't go where you throw it.

Make it spin and it flies like a javelin.

So, if none of this means anything, take into account the fact that EVERY other rocket/missile launcher in the game/mod has dead-on accuracy, and the fact that the Insurgents on al-Basrah don't have access to a heavy AT kit, and perhaps a reason to revamp the RPG will come to mind.

Thanks for reading.
TacticalSuicide is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
accuracy, rpg7