project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > News / Announcements > PR Highlights > PR Dev Journal Archives > 2008
09 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2008-03-02, 03:09   #1
[R-DEV]​Dr Rank
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default [Map] Sangin [WIP]

A meticulously planned 4km of Afghanistan based on extensive research taken from discussions with [R-DEV]UK_Force, video footage, photos and information gathered from the Helmand Exhibition at the National War Museum. Set mainly in an area of the Green Zone that follows the Helmand River through Sangin, the map includes Camp Bastion (the main base in the bottom left of the map - in RL Bastion is much further out in the same direction as it currently is in game so there will be a dome of death around it to prevent the Taliban forces getting near it in game, simulating the distance as best as possible). It also includes the Sangin MT (Main Town) FOB which has seen some of the most intensive fighting in the region. As you'll see, the FOB is modelled as accurately as I could get it, and bares more than a passing resemblance! It took AGES to make!!

Some key features include:
  • Overgrowth grass fields i.e. grass you can hide in

• Compounds modelled from google images/video footage

• Fields etc modelled from a combination of google images and video footage

• Insurgency gamemode against a Taliban force (Insurgent models for the time being)

• Realistic vehicles in operation i.e. for the British the Harrier, Apaches, Scimitars, an A-10 and Landrovers (the merlin will probably be used as a place holder until the game gets a chinook) Air assets are not confirmed, it will come down to balancing, ideally all those mentioned here will feature.

Here's some WIP Screenshots alongside some rl images taken from military videos:

Thanks to Nickbond, Katarn and Dbzao for posing for me in the screens

Last edited by [R-DEV]Dr Rank; 2008-03-02 at 03:25.. Reason: one more rl pic added

Tags
map, maps, sangin, wip