21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
PR Highlights Highlights of what work the Devs are currently working on

Closed Thread

Old 2012-09-27, 17:07   #1
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Smile Air Traffic Control (ATC)

This is something I forgot to include in my last Falklands Update but better late than never

This is another of the many small new gameplay features I'm testing out in PR:F and hopefully may see it being rolled out across all of PR in time if it works out well

The definition of Air Traffic Control (ATC) is "a service provided by ground-based controllers who direct aircraft on the ground and through controlled airspace. The primary purpose of ATC is to separate aircraft to prevent collisions, to organize and expedite the flow of traffic, and to provide information and other support for pilots when able."

Air Traffic Control (ATC) in how we have implemented it is very similar to this and is more of a "role-playing" role aimed at the commander position but can be fulfilled by any player wishing to do it, to help direct aircraft around the airbase or carrier and via communication, ensure there are no aircraft taking off when one comes into land.

The ATC also gives the player in it a very nice view of the airbase or carrier and being able to see planes taxiing out to the runway or coming in to land, with also a nice big zoom to see objects from a long way away

BAM Rio Grande ATC:

HMS Invincible ATC:

But this isn't just about giving the commander a nice place to sit to conduct ATC from as the ATC comes with a few little toys on top of that.

The first is main base radar support, to detect any incoming threats to the airbase, using the "vbf2 UAV radar" that when it picks up an enemy unit, it flashes red on the minimap with a small "bleep" sound to all the players on the team. Unfortunately due to another limitation of the BF2 engine this is only limited to 3km range, where I would have like to have more than that on the Falklands and there is no way of making it pick up only air targets, but that's ok in the case of the Falklands since the radar only sweeps over water and in the case of the Argentine airbase, Argentina as well where there should be no enemy ground forces and if there are, bad luck for them
It should also be noted that this radar is only active when a player is sitting in the ATC, can't set it to work without a player in the vehicle its on.

On top of the radar, all the air base weapons are also linked to the ATC as one vehicle. This dose however mean when you try and jump in an AA weapon you do jump into the ATC if no one is already in it, just like if you try and jump in a chopper with no one in it you jump into the pilot's seat. You simply just need to switch between the ATC and the base defence weapons using the F1 to F8 keys like you would on any other type of vehicle with multiple seats.
It should also be noted that these weapons have no delay to use timer, so you can switch from the ATC and fire the weapon right away, without having to wait for it to "warm up" like most weapons in PR.

BAM Rio Grande Defence Weapons:

HMS Invincible Defence Weapons:

This defence system, mixed in with the radar on the ATC should give anyone at the base a significant advantage with defending their base against enemy attack

To enter the ATC you simply need to walk up to the front door of the Argentine one, or inside the control tower then press "E", and for the carrier ATC, simply walk up to one of the doors on the island and press "E". Alternatively you can also walk up to a base defence weapon and press "E" to enter it.

BAM Rio Grande Entry Points:

HMS Invincible Entry Points:

While back in 1982 their where no UAVs, it should be noted that if this dose get implemented into other maps in PR with a modern force then the ATC will most likely become the UAV control station like the ACVs are now, and ACVs will just be reserved for maps that don't have an airbase for that team.

This we hope will give the commander another important and effective role he can play in the battle that should encourage more players to play as commander

Cheers for reading!

Old 2012-09-27, 17:14   #2
rodrigoma
Default Re: Air Traffic Control (ATC)

This looks inetresting, Im interested to see what kind of roleplaying and interactions will the pilots have with the commander ingame.
another great update, that nearly makes up the falklands as a compeltely different game XD
Old 2012-09-27, 17:31   #3
Doc.Pock

another great one rhino. ill be glad to shoot them daggers with this awesum new tool
Old 2012-09-27, 17:57   #4
Tit4Tat

great effort rhino, always nice to see something new and fresh for PR series.
Old 2012-09-27, 18:02   #5
Arnoldio
Banned

Intredasting, these little things are so awesome.
Old 2012-09-27, 18:03   #6
hobbnob

I look forward to pestering the enemy base and then trying fruitlessly to run away
Old 2012-09-27, 18:07   #7
Felix

i can remember sitting in the ATC on HMS Invincible on the last test, or is it just me?
Old 2012-09-27, 18:12   #8
Kevokpo

Always wondered why when you got in the AA of the brit carrier you appeared in the air control tower, I never saw this coming

Excellent news
Old 2012-09-27, 18:12   #9
richyrich55

Yea uhhh Rhino, we love you <3
Old 2012-09-27, 18:14   #10
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixCopyCat View Post
i can remember sitting in the ATC on HMS Invincible on the last test, or is it just me?
Yes it was in the last open beta, but only on HMS Invincible. Although since then there is no longer a massive, buggy radar sweep across the wrong part of the map from the radar, and instead you now just don't see a radar sweep, only enemy units being picked up on the map

Closed Thread

Tags
air, atc, control, traffic