project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > OverClocking & Networking
23 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
OverClocking & Networking Anything related to Overclocking & Networking here

Old 2015-12-01, 20:11   #1
Cassius
Supporting Member

Default Overclocking with multiple cores?

If I overclock mostly for PR should I only overclock core 0 on a 4 core cpu seen as PR really only uses one core?

|TG|cap_Kilgore
Cassius is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-02, 01:04   #2
MaSSive
Default Re: Overclocking with multiple cores?

Ze answer on the link.

Overclock only one Core

To sum it up its pointless, since unused cores are automatically downclocked and halted if no activity by "speedstep" and "C states", so it wont generate much heat or drain more power. Also dont use software to OC, use UEFI/BIOS whatever you have on your mainboard - means manualy OC. I assume you have Intel CPU, so this is based on it, should apply to AMD too, its just called different.

Which CPU? Intel I take but which one and which mainboard/ram..
MaSSive is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-05, 03:38   #3
Cassius
Supporting Member

No I made bad choices early in life and am on an AMD. Its the Phenomx X3 720 with the fourth core unlocked. One question, is the voltage a constant? If I set the voltage to 1,525 will the higher voltage only come into play when the CPU is taxed to its fullest or is the voltage constant and the CPU hotter in idle as well?

|TG|cap_Kilgore
Cassius is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-05, 04:29   #4
MaSSive

That is a bit more complicated. I advise against overclocking with 4th core unlocked on that CPU.

Read below...

Guide - Overclocking AMD's Phenom II X3 720 BE | bit-tech.net
MaSSive is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-09, 20:56   #5
X-Alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
No I made bad choices early in life and am on an AMD. Its the Phenomx X3 720 with the fourth core unlocked. One question, is the voltage a constant? If I set the voltage to 1,525 will the higher voltage only come into play when the CPU is taxed to its fullest or is the voltage constant and the CPU hotter in idle as well?
Just force all four on it, prime 95 in and out, keep downvolting until you can get it to reasonable temps.
X-Alt is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
cores, multiple, overclocking